Author Topic: Identification of Sub Frame  (Read 4216 times)

Offline terry mortimer

Identification of Sub Frame
« on: 11 Sep 2015 at 18:34 »
As a newcomer to the Douglas MK3 can any one tell me if the sub frame shown in the photo is the correct one for a 1949 MK3. It doesn't seem correct

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Identification of Sub Frame
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2015 at 19:21 »
It is for a Mark 3 Sports, as it has the clips for the pannier tool boxes. Were it Mark 4 or later, the lower frame mounts would reach down to the frame gusset, rather than above the lug like the T35 and Mark 3 (and as shown in your photo).

I do not know if the T35 and the Mark 3 sub-frames was the same (probably not), but neither would have the clips for the pannier toolbox, as the toolbox was centrally located over the gearbox. I think the only difference between the Mark 3 and Mark 3 Sports sub-frame was the addition of those clips.

On the Sports frame, you would then not have the mounting brackets under the saddle for the central toolbox.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2015 at 19:27 by Doug »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2015 at 20:47 »
Yes, definitely Mk3 Sports as it has the mounting lugs for the high level silencers and the extra holes in the mudguard support strap to suit the narrower valences on the sports mudguard.
  Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline terry mortimer

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2015 at 14:01 »
Hi Eddie, Thanks for your help regards I.D. of sub frame. I presume the 2 tubular shaped fixtures at the lower part of the frame are suspension stops, is there some sort of rubber bung gets fitted into these? Sorry to trouble you again. Terry.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2015 at 14:27 »
Yes Terry,
                 There should be 2 rubber plugs with heads about 5/8" deep.

Eddie.

Offline Dougiethenoo

« Reply #5 on: 02 Dec 2015 at 01:22 »
Could anyone provide approximate measurements of the mounting lugs for the silencers on the MkIII Sport subframe? I am planning to replace a pair that have been ground off, to restore the high level silencer mount position. Thanks in advance.