Author Topic: 90+ front brakes  (Read 5229 times)

Offline roger h

90+ front brakes
« on: 15 Aug 2015 at 21:32 »
Afriend of mine has luckily found a 90+ to restore. Most parts are there, however the wheels are missing.
Does anyone have a front wheel or brake they would be willing to part with?
Has anyone ever produced patterns and castings for these brakes?
Thanks,
Roger (UK)

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 90+ front brakes
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2015 at 17:13 »
Roger,

I needed a mudguard stay carrier plate for the RH side and CNC machined a small batch from plate. No sooner than I did that (and as is often the way), and someone in the UK started offering the castings! But I have not heard of the rest of the brake being reproduced.

-Doug

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2015 at 01:25 »
I'm sure I've seen John Carrick advertising Plus front brake plate castings over the years in the NCR - could be worth a try

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2015 at 04:56 »
Sorry, that should be John Caddick

Offline roger h

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2015 at 08:31 »
Thanks for this,
I've now found a front wheel brake backplate and brake shoes, but still need a brake drum, wheel centre (were they separate?) and the mudguard stay backplate - I will see if i can talk to John Caddick on that one.
Regarding the rear wheel, am I correct in assuming it is the same as a mark, but with the sprocket bolted on? Would it be possible to modify a mark wheel by turning off the existing built in sprocket?
Thanks for your help
Roger

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2015 at 08:49 »
Roger,
           Both the front and rear hubs were the same as Mark hubs - just the brake drums were different. The front drum was, of course, larger in diameter. The rear drum was the same as a Mark, but had the bolt-on sprocket. The rear brakeplate was slightly 'beefier', and whilst looking like a mark unit, had an operating cam with a slightly larger shaft, and the boss on the brakeplate was drilled and tapped from the rear for a grease nipple (the Mark had the nipple in the end of the cam spindle). If you come across a rear drum, make sure it is for a 'Plus' - the 'Comp' had the same setup but the sprocket was offset more to the outside.
  Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline roger h

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2015 at 20:14 »
Thanks Eddie,
The puzzle is becoming gradually clearer! I'll now look for Mark front and rear hubs.
Roger