Author Topic: 1928 EW Questions  (Read 3122 times)

Offline patrickhowell

1928 EW Questions
« on: 29 May 2015 at 09:09 »
As a new member, just come in on this discussion. I have a 1928 'EW'. First, why do they continue to call it an EW when that designation ceased the previous year, and how can I positively identify my model, which has footboards?
Second, can anybody give me a simple explanation as to how to operate the dual oiling system? I have read the manual, but am not much the wiser; I am reluctant to run the bike further without knowing what I should be doing!
Anybody got a similar model near to Stratford-upon-Avon? Thanks

Offline Dave

• Administrator
1928 EW Questions
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2015 at 21:30 »
This topic was split from 1926 EW Questions

Offline patrickhowell

Re: 1928 EW Questions
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jun 2015 at 18:40 »
The Douglas engine is running nicely (ignoring oil leaks from various parts of the engine) except that it leaks petrol from the two holes/ vents on each side of the main body of the Brown and Barlow carb. Aside from wasting fuel, it's a fire hazard. The carb has been thoroughly cleaned, and the float set on the one and only notch in the float needle, so can anybody suggest a cause? All the washers have been replaced, but in any event, it's coming out of said holes. The carb is otherwise functioning well.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jun 2015 at 00:08 »
Is the float needle actually sealing on its' seat? If it isn't, the carby will flood regardless of the float height

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun 2015 at 02:21 »
The needle may not be correct - in which case you would need to work out where the groove should be and add one

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jun 2015 at 04:36 »
I have a 1928 'EW'. First, why do they continue to call it an EW when that designation ceased the previous year, and how can I positively identify my model, which has footboards?

It is called a 350EW (or EW350) solely due to convention. From late 1925 through 1929 there were only changes in details and options. Just because Douglas decided to change the model designations to freshen up the range does not mean the present day enthusiast slavishly follow suit. Just as all of the 2-3/4hp models get lumped together, until you need to start distinguishing them by using the model designations and year.

There were two lightweight models in 1928, the A28 and the B28. Judging by the catalog the visible difference was the use of foot boards, fishtail on the silencer, and a sprung, cloth saddle on the B28; and use of the older pan saddle and cheaper foot pegs on the A28 (the cheapest model offered). However customers could specify to a certain extent which options they desired. Nor am I aware of a different prefix code being used to differentiate between the A28 and B28. So determining after the fact is likely impossible. Depending on how you trim it out, it could be either.

Electrics or acetylene lighting were an extra option for either model. A twist grip was offered as optional extra on the B28, but could probably be had on the A28 with an upgrade of the carburetor too (from the gauze to the needle type). Though by that point you might have as well just ordered the slightly better appointed B28 at 44 pounds even verses 42 pounds and 10 shillings for the A28.

-Doug

Offline patrickhowell

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2015 at 15:16 »
I have done a test, with the float chamber detached, and jury rigged to a feed pipe. The chamber was filled via the pipe, and when the float reached top dead centre, there was no loss of fuel. The fuel level exactly coincided with the level at the top of the main jet. Surprisingly, the amount of travel of the float up and down is as little as 5mm.
That of course was a static test. It occurs to me that what might be happening, and this is a pure guess, is that the engine vibration is causing the float to wobble - it is not a close fit in the chamber- and thereby unseating the needle. Interestingly, no fuel is emerging from the two holes in the float chamber top.