Author Topic: Tank colours and pattern  (Read 3361 times)

Offline ste

Tank colours and pattern
« on: 29 May 2015 at 10:40 »
Does anyone have a pattern, blueprint (pardon the pun) or measurements of the blue panels on a TS mid 1920's tank please?
Also, the name of the blue to be used if anyone knows please?

Regards,
Stephen

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Tank colours and pattern
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2015 at 15:02 »
Hi Stephen
Do a search on this Forum for Paint Colours by Chris and you will find the full details of the latest recommended colours of both blue and silver following research into tne best match colours following the obsolescence of the original recommended colours. Perhaps someone else will supply the sizes of the panels for you. Chris.

Offline carl denton

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2015 at 13:31 »
hi ya I have three bikes , what year is yours ? I will mesure my tank as soon as I have a year of your bike .

Offline ste

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2015 at 19:56 »
That's very kind of you, it's 1924.

Offline Hutch

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2015 at 07:09 »
Hi Steven,
I have a circa 1924/25 tank with what appears to be original paint on it. I will measure it up and post the details when i get a chance. The blue is quite dark and I polished a bit to see what colour it is underneath the oxidised paint. I'm a bit flat out at the moment, but I will see if I can take it into a paint place and get a match for it. It appears darker than most of the repainted ones I have seen lately, but age may have done that! (to the tank paint, not my eyes :-) ).

The new transfer is from The LDMCC for comparison. The "G" looks a little different, but other than that it appears to be close.

I will PM you about the TS wheel you are after.

Cheers

Ian

Offline ste

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2015 at 10:01 »
Thank you, that's wonderful.

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2015 at 08:47 »
Hi Mods we need a pinned post in the tech section on paint colours for reference purposes maybe collect all the info in the one section Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2015 at 12:59 »
Good Idea Daren.
In spite of doing a lot of work to establish as near as possible the correct colours from currently available paints with the original recommendations now not being available and posting the findings on this Forum we still get constant requests for the correct colours. More seriously, incorrectly painted tank colours appear in every shade of blue on the veteran and vintage machines from the correct dark Oxford blue to the light Cambridge blue. The whole idea of the original recommenations made consistently over many years by the London Douglas MCC was that standard colours should be maintained. Every tank incorrectly painted with a wrong colour is likely to be copied by others knowing no better. Chris.