Author Topic: mk5s  (Read 1310 times)

Offline richson

mk5s
« on: 27 May 2015 at 20:04 »
Iím getting quite close to finishing my Mk project now, and the closer I get the more reservations Iím having about it. Itís a mk 4 frame with a mk 5 engine & gearbox. Iíve rebuilt the engine and gearbox  and replaced all that had signs of wear, and all seals/bearings as routine. The gearbox is  standard, but the engine has Coles high lift cams and upgraded oil pump, plus mods to the oilways as recommended by Holmes/Coles and a few other mods that seemed to me to be worthwhile. The head inlets have been enlarged, barrels rebored, and modified (lightened)  pistons fitted. I took some weight off the flywheel too. As you can see from the pic, I have fitted a small blower which gives about 8psi with engine at 5k rpm. I am worried about the strength of the crank, which I had rebuilt with shoulders on the crankpins hope it will be ok!  I replaced the heavy rear suspension with a monoshock arrangement which wasnít easy, but looks ok so hereís hoping.  I have a few bits to fit and finish the wiring, but should be ready to go in a few weeks time. Maybe I will get close to plus 90 performance, or maybe it will just blow to pieces, but it has been an interesting engineering project and hopefully created another Douglas from otherwise dead parts.

Cheers,  Neil

Offline richson

Re: mk5s
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2015 at 20:09 »
Here's the pic.

motorcycle