Author Topic: MK GEARBOX PROBLEM  (Read 4118 times)

Offline frankclock

MK GEARBOX PROBLEM
« on: 27 May 2015 at 05:26 »
Hello
I went for a short ride today on my MK1V it seemed to be going well but when I tried to change down from 3rd to 2nd it would not work I stopped & after a bit of gear lever prodding it seemed to go into 2nd & first but once on the move it happened again
thankfully it was an easy ride home
 trying it again the same problem happened
before I start pulling it to bits  I thought the forum would be able to give me some answers
any help would be great
thank you
FRANK DEAN

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: MK GEARBOX PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2015 at 17:06 »
Frank,
         It sounds as if one of the nuts on the tail end of either the main shaft or layshaft may be loose, allowing the shaft to float and affect the gear selection. You can get at them if you remove the final drive assembly. You may need to slacken the engine bolt and remove the footrests and their mounting stud to gain enough clearance to withdraw the final drive assembly.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline frankclock

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2015 at 20:31 »
Thanks Eddie
I now have somewhere to start

Offline frankclock

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2015 at 21:32 »
Yesterday I attempted to remove the driveshaft cover but after removing the six nuts it was reluctant to move I did not attempt using any force, should I have??
I removed the gear lever cover & removed quadrant , the 2 selector pins are in good cond, it appears the rear one has been resleeved so I replaced everything & now I can select all gears easily but it is still on the workstand so while its there I will remove timing cover to sort out a small oil leak
I would still like to look inside the driveshaft cover to see inside, do I use a bit of force to remove it
thanks

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2015 at 06:28 »
Frank,
          You will also need to undo the central 1/2" nut that retains the sprocket/shock absorber assembly. On the RH side of the gearbox, there is a round plug with 4 holes that gives access to the head of the 1/2" bolt. With the bolt withdrawn, you will see a hollow shaft in a ballrace. With a suitable drift, tap the shaft out, but leave the ballrace in place (at this stage, the ballrace cannot be removed as it fouls the kickstart gear). The final drive assembly will come away complete with a number of brass shims - make sure you fit the same number of shims on reassembly. If you still have the side cover off the 'box, and the quadrant removed, you can manually select 2 gears at once to lock the gearbox while checking that the nuts on the tail of the main and layshafts are tight (these nuts should be locked with tabwashers).
 Regards,
              Eddie.

Offline Derek Kinsey

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2015 at 13:10 »
[Frank,
Sorry to learn of your gearbox problem, as Eddie states take care to refit the same brass shims or if too damaged make up another single one to the same thickness. On another subject the air filters appear to work well.
Best Regards,

DK. font=arial]
[/color][/size][/font][/font]