Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Highlander

Introduction
« on: 09 May 2015 at 05:33 »
Hi, I would just like to introduce myself to the forum, I initially emailed the secretary of the London Douglas motorcycle club who has directed me to this forum, it's probably just as easy to copy and paste my email along with the response from Roy Staunton. If you're reading this Roy, thanks for your quick response. To everyone else, any advice regarding the content of my email would be greatly appreciated. I understand I have no prior experience with the Douglas motorcycle so feel free to speak your mind, and no offence taken should some of you have the opinion "walk away from this mad notion" !!

Below email with response from Roy,
Regrads, Highlander

Dear Sir/s,

I am approaching you seeking advice, I have recently moved back to the UK after having spent some 20 years abroad.
I have spent most of my adult life surrounded by bikes, albeit more modern versions and my interests were competing in racing, only at hobby level.
Now that I am settled back in the UK I would like to explore the options of purchasing a classic bike, hence the reason for contact yourselves.
Basically, the bottom line is I have fell in love with the DT5 and the EW350, given the choice I'd opt for the DT5. with its racing connections. You are correct in assuming my choice isn't based on any previous knowledge, it is based purely on seeing pictures and my amazement at the workmanship and engineering that existed back in those days. After reading up on the history of the machines and based on the fact I do have a technical background, the aspect of taking on something like this doesn't fill me with fear, I see it as more of a "healthy challenge"
Obviously my hands on knowledge of something from this era is nil, would you have opinions or argument that would build up advice on which of these two machines to choose from. I'd intend to ride the bike on the road so if I could get my hands on a DT 5 I would preferably like to find one modified with a clutch fitted.
I'm also based in Scotland, in the North East and wondered if you know of anyone local to my area that I could approach in person to talk to about these amazing machines?
Apart from some advice on buying such a thing my other main question is where to best look for these and who to approach regarding technical questions etc.
I'm sure joining your club would be advantageous if I'm lucky enough to find what I'm looking for,
any thoughts or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Response from Roy,

Hi

Nice to hear from you. Although I am Secretary for the London Douglas Motorcycle Club I donít pretend to have any knowledge or experience of these two particular bikes. My experience is on the post World War 11 models. However, the club has a world wide membership, albeit only about a thousand members, but you can be sure that within the membership we have there will be plenty of expertise on the two bikes you are thinking about. What I would suggest is that you join the Douglas forum Ė web site address below. This is free of charge and will put you in contact with our world wide membership. The site allows you to post requests for advice, spares, purchase and sales of bikes etc. Hopefully you will be successful in finding a suitable bike and once you have purchased a Douglas bike I would then suggest you join the club. Membership cost is £18 per annum and below I have also given the clubs web site address where you can download a membership form.

I wish you every success and hope we may have you as a member in the near future. However, if I can be of any further help in the meantime then please let me know.

Roy Staunton

Club Secretary 

Offline RockDr.

Offline Highlander

Re: Introduction
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2015 at 08:48 »
RockDr,
Thanks for the link, an interesting machine, it's not exactly what I had in mind, I have been contacted by one of the forum members who has introduced me to the option of looking out for a SW5. It'll take time I'm sure but will just keep trawling the net and see what becomes available.
Thanks again

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2015 at 06:12 »
The other ones around the 20s that are somewhat related to the DT/SW are the OB and OC which are road going OHV models of 600cc

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2015 at 16:33 »
Good to hear of another Douglas enthusiast North of the Wall. I'm to be found pottering around on a 1913 2 3/4HP south of the Forth. Best of luck finding your one!