Author Topic: "Period" turn indicator switch.  (Read 6647 times)

Offline KiwiJohn

"Period" turn indicator switch.
« on: 29 May 2005 at 04:42 »
I am still on the search for turn indicator lights that will not clash overly with the styling (or lack of) of my 80 Plus.  However I have solved the  question of a suitable indicator switch.

My junk pile yeilded one scroll type handlebar control, a new bicycle brake cable and a double throw, centre off, switch.  

Putting these all together I have a cable operated indicator switch which looks the part. It is on the left handle bar, up for right turn and down for left turn, approximately horizontal is off.  I had to wriggle the position of the magnetto control a bit but there is plenty of room under the tank for the unsightly switch itself.

Pictures

Offline trevorp

• Master Member
indicators
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2005 at 09:35 »
this may soumd even sillier but u can buy bicycle indicators that just clip on the bike and have thier own batteries and when u pull up u can slip them off or take them off when u get home
Trevor
 Australia

Offline KiwiJohn

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2005 at 22:19 »
Not silly at all Trevor but unfortunately although I am not required to have indicators on such an old bike if they are fitted they must meet the standards and type approvals etc.

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2005 at 00:25 »
Hi John,
Not a bad switching solution - looks neat - coincidentally (or is this where you got the idea from?) it's very similar to the 'Wyco' headlight switch on the early Bantam BSA's, (my '50 D1 has it, I was able to restore it with some epoxy repair it to make it work)- has the same bar lever and Bowden cable operation but switch is not a toggle switch as is yours - the BSA's is a four position push/pull sliding pair of contact blocks, actually one fixed the other sliding, both blocks having embedded brass contacts for completing OFF, parker, high beam and low beam circuits. Interesting solutions on some of these old bikes!
Alwyn
Site Mod
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline KiwiJohn

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005 at 00:42 »
Hi Alwyn, no I have never seen the Wyco switch unit,  I think it was my James (same era and market segment as the  BSA Bantam) that had the switch on a bracket under the seat,  it was easy to reach but no quite so easy with a big coat on.