Author Topic: Points Set Information?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Leleven

Points Set Information?
« on: 15 Apr 2015 at 00:21 »
I am working on a 4HP side car rig for a friend who collects WW1 motorcycles, trucks and staff cars. He imported this machine from Britain about 10 years ago. Despite being dormant for many years, I was able to get it running very well today. A very real credit to the original restorer!
    The points are set to 0.010 - 0.012", plugs are new and I set the valve clearance. The carb was cleaned out and then two primer spins and it fired on the first real kick. When I cleaned and set the points, I noted the fixed point is still in excellent condition. Unfortunately, the moving (sprung?) contact is all but gone. Is there anywhere I can get replacements? Any other solutions? Thanks, in advance for any assistance. Cheers, John D.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Points Set Information?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2015 at 08:42 »
Hi John
You have not said which make of magneto is fitted to the 4hp machine in question but in any case magneto contact breaker points, apart from the very much later Lucas magnetos, are not to my knowledge available. I have found in the past that points for early magnetos such as Bosch, CAV, Thompson Bennett, EIC, BTH etc. must be made by micro engineering. Use what you have and then take parts from other readily available breaker points from old cars or any other source. In this way I have been able to replace the actual contact point itself, replace springs and even reshape and use the fibre components. You might sometimes find a complete spare second hand magneto with a decent set of points but this by comparison is an expensive solution. Chris.

motorcycle