Author Topic: how do you time mag for 1911-1912 Douglas flat twin motor please  (Read 3391 times)

Offline MIKE111

HI i think i have about 1911-1912 flat twin stationary engine that hope to put in early  motor bike frame that I have pity it is not A Dounglas frame  how do I time the mag it does not seem to have much compression  should they have.

Offline Hutch

Hi Mike111,

Welcome to the forum!

Here are the instructions out of the Douglas manual for 1911 and 1912-14 Working Instructions for timing the magneto on a 2 3/4 HP. Hopefully that covers the engine you have. A picture/engine number may be useful for forum members to identify it's year and then possibly provide more information for you.

Cheers
Ian

Offline Hutch

1911 Manual Parts

Offline Frank Lyn

Thank you Ian :!:

I have a 1910 and the 1910 Manual neatly avoids the entire internal engine disassembly - reassembly issue by saying that you should return the engine to the factory for any such service.

Could you post the next pair of pages (48-49).  I am sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what happens after "Drop the shaft into its appropriate bearing in the!"   A real cliff hanger. 

(Actually I figured out the exhaust timing from first principles but it is nice to have the Factory procedures. Without the cylinders, valves, and valve-gear installed, it is difficult to figure when the cam actually moves the valves.....  There were many trials and errors to get it to Cose the valves a bit after TDC which seems appropriate for an automatic inlet engine)

thanks again

Offline MIKE111

1911 Manual Parts
                 :)many thanx for your help mike

Offline Hutch

No Worries Mike, hope it was of some help !. ....and to relieve Frank from the edge of his seat, here is the next 2 pages of the 1911 booklet - enjoy!

cheers

Ian