Author Topic: Introduction - New Dragonfly Owner in NE Surrey/South London  (Read 2225 times)

Offline andy1303

Hi All,

My name is Andy and I've just purchased my first Douglas - a 1957 Dragonfly. I was first introduced to them by a friend who owned one during (I assume) the sixties. The stories of bike ownership during that period and classic bikes over a cuppa before work and, to my mind, the good looks of the Dragonfly made it desirable. So after a house move last year and a reduction in storage space I decided to sell my kitcar and get something smaller. I've been riding motorbikes for over 20 years so I had a shortlist of bikes I've always wanted to own (one of the others being a Ducati 916!) but the Dragonfly won out and I've now purchased Dave Nicholson's bike which I believe at least one or two member will know.

For those that don't know I believe Dave had some starting issues, with the kickstart jamming, which I believe he worked through but never got to the point where he had the time to get her back up and running. So I have a complete but not started Dragonfly.

My options lie in either stripping the engine/box again to see if I (or someone who actually knows what they're looking at) can see any potential gotchas, or filling the oil up, putting some new petrol in it and seeing what happens... not sure which way is the best yet but once I can shake off the nasty cold I've got I'll have to make a decision - unless anyone has any opinions or suggestions.

Either way, I've joined the LDMCC, so I hope to meet some owners soon, and look forward to enjoying some lovely summer afternoons on my new purchase.

Andy

Offline hvirtanen

Did you already check, if the kickstart is still jammed?

Or what is going on with it?
Kickstart pedal slipping?

with best,

-hv

Offline David Lawrence

Hi Andy,
Glad to hear you have now got thw Dragonfly.
If the kickstart is jammed please do not force it in any way until we have discussed it further, I will email you my phone number over the weekend.
I guess (hope) you will get replies from certain owners who know the foibles of the Dragonfly box far better than I.
Dave

Offline kncken

Hello Andy, welcome to the Club and hope you get to enjoy your Dragonfly. I'm Ken and I live near Ashford,Kent and I'm retired these last few months so if you would like me to come and cast an eye over your bike i'm sure I could find the time.There are many others in the LDMCC more knowledgeable than I on Dragonfly matters, but I am time served I think I can claim. If you feel like a chat,Andy, please feel free; my no. is 01233 733290. Best wishes, Ken.

Offline andy1303

Hi All,
Thanks for your responses. Dave believed the problem was fixed and not with the gearbox at all, but he had been unable (for reasons outside the bike) to go that final step of just starting her up. My conundrum is whether to get the bike checked over (it is 58 years old and is essentially an unknown entity to me) or whether to just dive in and go for broke and try and start her.
The kickstart does move, but Dave and Ken I might take you up on your offers of a chat just to bounce some ideas off you and avoid asking some (really) stupid questions on a public forum and embarrassing myself!
Best Regards

Andy

motorcycle