Author Topic: Douglas T6 valve clearances  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Jeffrey Rook

Douglas T6 valve clearances
« on: 11 Feb 2015 at 07:25 »
Hi , I recently moved and have searched high and low for my Douglas books ( not that any of them are very good ) so can someone please  tell me what the valve  clearances should be on my 1930 T6 ? thanks Jeff Rook

Offline Reg

Re: Douglas T6 valve clearances
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:19 »
Hi Jeff,
            Have just had a look through the 1930 edition of 'The Book of the Douglas' by E.W.Knott. For the 500cc and 600cc side valve models, the recommended valve clearances with a cold engine are: inlet= 0.006", exhaust= 0.008"
Reg.

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2015 at 10:59 »
Hi Jeff,
Interestingly enough, just to contradict Reg's 1930 book of the Douglas, I have checked with the 1929 S6  Douglas Motors, Care and Maintenance Manual where they claim that the correct setting for both inlet and exhaust should be 0.006".
If you do not succeed in finding your manuals, the Douglas Club does have a stock of copies of both the manual and illustrated spares list. Unfortunatly they are printed from early photocopies but are still perfectly legible. Cost is a mere £7-00 each plus the post. If you decide you would like one or both please email direct to my email shown.
Dave

Offline Jeffrey Rook

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2015 at 19:17 »
Hi Many thanks for the info, although the T6 starts and runs nicely from cold when it gets hot it goes flat and sluggish ,the front plug is correct colour but the rear is very sooty and I would have expected it to be running hotter being at the rear . The magneto has been professionally overhauled and I very carefully checked the valve timing when I had the motor apart and before I misplaced the books . I have found the spares book but the other book for details etc from memory  seems to be more for showing me which hand to hold out when turning !! what I would like is more of a workshop manual type of book (if only!) But today I will have a look at clearances and hopefully that will fix it .I hope to do the Dalby Cotton Fields rally this weekend which is about 3 hours to the West of Brisbane and will let you know whether it's fixed , again many thanks Jeff 

Offline Jeffrey Rook

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2015 at 11:00 »
Hi I did the valve clearances and they were ok but the problem turned out to be a magneto issue so the BTH is on it's way to South Australia for a health check ! Thanks for your help  Jeff