Author Topic: 2 3/4 Oiling Path  (Read 3644 times)

Offline midman

2 3/4 Oiling Path
« on: 23 Sep 2014 at 10:41 »
Hello All,
Well, I've been tinkering with my Douglas SW24. I had to clean and seal the tanks ( 10 pinholes in the oil tank! And rust in both), rebuild the carb and clean the oil passages. Redid all the cables and checked the magneto.
My question is how is the oiling path routed to the timing case and gears? The previous owner somewhere down the line packed it with grease. I am assuming this is incorrect but did not want to run it without the grease before understanding and verifying the lubrication of the gears as intended.
I did get her up and running but only kept it going a couple of minutes.
Thanks for any help.
Chuck

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: 2 3/4 Oiling Path
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2014 at 11:58 »
There is a breather in the timing end of the crank - a light ball bearing and a light spring held in place by a screw in fitting on the end of the crank. Oil mist comes through that into the timing cover and lubricates the gears. Any excess is just dumped on the road !

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2014 at 04:15 »
Another  other oiling path appears to be via the holes in cam wheel, intermediate and the two valve rocker gear studs?

cheers

Ian

Offline bluethruxton

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2015 at 13:47 »
I have also been trying to work out the oiling path and I think that the mechanism for the oiling is, that as the pistons fly apart on the up stroke, the suction tries to evacuate the timing cover by lifting the sprung loaded ball off its seat and the partial vacuum in the timing case sucks oil into the spindles of the rockers and timing wheels via the holes into the crankcase. So, far from dumping oil on the road, it actually sucks it back into the crank case of the engine.
On the down stroke of the the pistons, the ball closes and more oil is forced into the spindle holes, so they get lubricated twice on each cycle of the engine.
Regards
Tim