Author Topic: Hi all, new member around here with questions  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Phils

Hi all, new member around here with questions
« on: 05 Feb 2015 at 21:06 »
Hi everyone!

I'm Phil, I'm French and I'm fond of English prewar years motorbikes.
I recently bought a Douglas S6 of 1933 in a very good state, but I have a problem to solve.

I posted a photo in attachment.

Here's my problem : I can't stop the engine, I have to make the engine stall to stop it. Would you know how to solve this? With the magneto or the valve or anything? Any information will be welcome...

I'm also looking for books about Douglas, it seems hard to find documentation about Douglas!
But I saw there's a topic about it, I'll go and have a look.

Thank you for any answer!

Phil

P.S. : my English is sometimes hesitating, sorry about that guys! I'll do my best

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: Hi all, new member around here with questions
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2015 at 04:50 »
Hi Phil

The S6 is not fitted with a valve lifter, nor a magneto ignition cutout, so there is neither of the usual methods available to stop the machine. If your throttle is not of the automatically returning type, you can set the idle speed so that it is too slow to keep the engine running if the throttle is fully closed. Obviously when riding the machine you don't ever throttle completely back when you are in neutral if you wish to keep the engine running.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2015 at 07:13 »
Hi Phil,
           Have a look at the carburettor on a Norton 16H - it has a longer throttle stop screw with a block clamped to it so that the tickover can be easily adjusted. If you fitted something similar, you would be able to set the stop to give a reliable tickover or wind it back about half a turn to stop the engine.
  Hope this helps,
                           Regards,
                                         Eddie.

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2015 at 08:13 »
Hi Phil,
Welcome to the Douglas owning fraternity, I hope you enjoy owning the S6.
If you care to email me directly via the personal message system (The small email envelope image below my name). I can help you with some information.
I look after the works manuals for the London Douglas Motor Cycle Club, and have a supply of both the original manual and the original spares list.
They sadly are only printed from an early photocopy but do have a lot of information and pictures of all the components.
I would also suggest it may be worth you considering joining the Club, despite the name London, we are international and have well over a 100 members throughout Europe.
Dave

Offline podge

« Reply #4 on: 06 Feb 2015 at 10:16 »
Hi Phil
I have a 1932 A32 Terrier. I set up the carburretor for tickover with the twistgrip closed. To stop the engine, I fully retard the ignition Advance/Retard lever and blip the throttle- works everytime.
Regards
Paul

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 06 Feb 2015 at 22:48 »
That sounds like a much better method Paul - I will give it a try!

Offline DSIM

« Reply #6 on: 07 Feb 2015 at 10:10 »
Hi Phil

On my E32 I have fitted a magneto points cover with the earthing contact, so a simple stop button is fitted. There is not a lot of room for the cover because of the flywheel being close to the magneto but it does fit.

Offline Phils

« Reply #7 on: 08 Feb 2015 at 12:10 »
Thank you very much for your answers !

@ Dave : I’ll consider joining the club, thank you

Indeed DSIM I would like to fit something similar,an earthing contact or a valve lifter. But I miss a thin cover : I have a BTH magneto, and between the flywheel and the BTH there are only 14 mm.  Would you know where I can buy this type of cover ?

Otherwise I would need a diagram of the engine focused on the carburettor side to see if there is a way to lift the valve, but I didn’t find it for the moment.

I'll try and let you know!