Author Topic: Girder fork steering stem parts  (Read 5163 times)

Offline A31ndrew

Girder fork steering stem parts
« on: 04 Feb 2015 at 16:14 »
The threads on the steering stem of my A31 are worn to the point where the adjusting nuts do not touch them, let alone tighten up! Does anyone have a spare?  This part may have been fitted to other models, so please search through your spares. The overall height is just under 9 inches and the width of the yoke is 3.25 inches. The part is shown in the attached image, and is stamped with an S and the words "A" QUALITY.  I also need the bearing adjuster nut, bearing cover and chromed top nut.

Thanks,
Andrew

Offline Jeffrey Rook

Re: Girder fork steering stem parts
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2015 at 09:54 »
Hi I have something similar from a Douglas the 3.25 Inch's is correct but my stem from where the bottom bearing race would sit is 8 Inch's to the top of the thread and the diameter is about 1 Inch the only big difference mine has 2 holes at a angle to take the headlight brackets go and is like a T6 type ,if you are still interested I will try and put a photo up for you (never done it before ) regards Jeffrey Rook

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2015 at 10:04 »
Hi Jeffrey
Thanks for getting in touch. I have been offered a part by Leo, a member from The Netherlands, which sounds very similar to what you have, eg: with lamp brackets in the base. I think these must be from an earlier model but are basically the same. Leo is sending me his fork stem so this may solve the problem - otherwise I'll be in touch!
Thanks again for your help.
Andrew

Offline Jeffrey Rook

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2015 at 10:11 »
Hi Just another thought re the thread diameter some of the size's of threads on Vintage Douglas's were to put it kindly "A bit average!" and the man who has made various threaded bits to match threads on my T6 always has to start with a tight fit and then ease them to match the thread on the bike ,maybe that is a option ? anyway good luck with it Jeff

Offline A31ndrew

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2015 at 10:34 »
Exactly my own thought on the subject! The steering stem thread is a standard cycle rate 1.1/8 x 26 tpi and I've ordered a die from Tracy Tools so that I can re-cut a tighter thread and make slightly undersize nuts if necessary. Fingers crossed ...