Author Topic: steering head assembly  (Read 4342 times)

Offline kev

steering head assembly
« on: 31 Jan 2015 at 06:12 »
next step on my 1926 ew  making up the parts for the steering head..  the sleeves went in just fine
I have three of the races....easy enough to copy..  the uppermost race..does it look the same??
is there any other parts ...bushes spacers...that go under the handlebar casting
what does the big nut look like??

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: steering head assembly
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2015 at 15:45 »
Attached is an extreme enlargement of a scanned photo of my '27 EW350. There is a collar under the handlebars that includes the spigot for the handlebars and a shroud to cover the top bearing. All four bearing races should be the same.

On top of that would be a thin nut, and then a thicker one with a spigot for a snap on aluminum cap. This cap is usually missing. The idea was the control cables threaded through the slot and down the hollow head stem. It placed a severe bend in the cable, which is probably why they were either discarded, or as in the example seen below, the cable threaded straight through the other side.

I could probably do a sketch of the collar for the upper bearing and its tin shroud, if you have not sorted it already. But it will take some time to dig out the parts and disassemble. I am not sure I can help with the cap or the nuts above the handlebars.

-Doug

Offline kev

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:48 »
Doug

thanks heaps for that
 you are a legend

I would never have guessed 2 thin nuts....but no easy way to keep a single nut locked

see how I go with making a press die to  stamp out the tin shrouds

went over the road to get a price on making sets of handlebars...I,m maybe 15 minutes from Burleigh Bars...

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2015 at 00:42 »
Here is a drawing of the adapter (as the spares list calls part #7777) and the dust cap (#7673) that protects the bearing. There is also a felt washer that rubs on the top of the headstock (#7674) as a seal. The inner diameter of the cap is a bit of a guess, as mine is shaped like an egg. But it should fit over the headstock casting, so 1.980 to 2.00 inch diameter should do it.

Looks like it was originally nickel plated.

Note there is a shallow groove in the i.d. for the adapter. At first I thought this was broached, but in closer examination I see the depth is inconstant (at one point almost nil) and the ripple effect might have been caused by a hacksaw blade. So rather than cut by the factory, I think a subsequent owner attacked it for reasons unknown. I can not think of any purpose for this groove, so have not included it in the drawing.

-Doug

Offline kev

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:52 »
doug

thanks heaps for that...a huge help...
  these little bits can be a problem guessing what they may have done...so long ago...
the drawing is terrific...   now just need to make up the die to press out some tin caps...

I have taken my handlebars to a handlebar manufacturer...Burleigh bars...on the gold coast to see what a copy will cost...or a bunch if any interest\\\

making the rod races up right now...having some issues with distortion when heat treating   any advice out there

piece by piece  and this douglas will oil the roads of queensland again