Author Topic: newbie from Spain. And first doubt.  (Read 1820 times)

Offline tosalemal

newbie from Spain. And first doubt.
« on: 30 Jan 2015 at 16:51 »
Hello Everybody.

Firstly introduce myself, i am a newbie in the British motorcycles, but may be i should say that "we are newbies" in this world, because we are two brothers that entered in the motorcycle restoration world 4 years ago. We are 30īs and no idea about motorcycles, engines and restoration, so you could manage to imagine how was the beginnings.

We started with a vespa 150S, and after a while we discover that this was harder than it looks like. This was the reason to start photographing every step we make, to repeat later to mount every screw on it place. We learn a lot through forums (all them in Spanish) and we start a blog to share our new knowledges, taking profit of our photos.

After 3 years writing we have some Spanish motorcycles, some appear in the blog others not (waiting to restore). Now we were focus on restoring 2 vespas 1955 and Primavera, but somehow one friend discover one Douglas in my city and we have the opportunity to get it, but this motorcycle was a mixture of others totally unmount and i am not able to discover which model it is.  that is why i need some help to evaluate to buy it or not.

So i am going to prepare my question in the identify department.

So hello everybody!!!

Excuse my poor English.

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: newbie from Spain. And first doubt.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2015 at 00:03 »
Welcome! This is an international forum, so not everyone speaks/writes English as their first language. Generally the questions posted get figured out and answered, even if machine translation is required.

Most of the Douglas models are easy to work on and tolerant; especially the side valve models. Many owners do their own restoration work with the minimum of tools and learn the skills as they go. So a Douglas is in a sense an ideal first cycle to practice restoration work on. The only down-side is there is not the number of suppliers of reproduction and replacement parts as there are for Triumph, BSA, and Norton. Also, there are not as many about to provide second hand parts. You may have to manufacture parts or search harder and longer for secondhand parts. But that just makes them all the more special!

I replied to you post for identifying a possible Douglas. Sorry, it is not a Douglas. I am not sure what it is, but someone viewing might know.

-Doug

Offline tosalemal

Re: newbie from Spain. And first doubt.
« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2015 at 13:28 »
Thank you for you Reply.

I read you two days ago, but i did not want to reply before have more information about the motorcycle. I knew that this branch it is quite, not rare, but special, i mean, not to much second hand parts, and not too much information. I am not scare about to mount it, i am scare about to be able to arrive to a motorcycle. this is because of the mixture of pieces, i would like to have a douglas, not a mixture of i don't know...its a pity.

Well you will see the images of the frankestein...

Thank you for your time.