Author Topic: t35 advice needed  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Graham prichard

t35 advice needed
« on: 26 Nov 2014 at 17:26 »
Hello all my names graham from Essex England, i,v bought a douglas t35s 1948 with lots of problems. But love the look of it and at 48 years old thought it might slow me down a bit this is my first British bike been riding Japanese bikes currently a fireblade for 30years.
Put all new cables and controls on, cleaned carburettors and tank full of rust as expected. got filter on now.  plugs not good left hand ok, right black wet sooty lookin, done a compression test both cylinders reading 110 psi??
Started 2 nd kick, left side hot right still much cooler, i swapped leads and plugs, still the same start easy rough tickover if at all, spark looks good on both plugs can hear and see spark,points as far as can see look good, but so awkward? Also today tried to fit a new battery but connections got hot so took away immediately, tried connection other way but this also got hot??? Both leads are black one with a red bit of tape around? But looking at it all the wires are black so must of been rewired?.
Im sure someone can help any help and advice much appreciated

Offline varagaz

Re: t35 advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2014 at 18:44 »
Graham i'm like you just bought a mk 5  i also ride modern tiger 800  i have just joined the douglas mcc club they have manuals  &  maybe a better bet they suppose to have a private members part of there site so i'm awaiting clearance  if i got it right

Offline Graham prichard

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2014 at 18:54 »
Yes iv also joined club and wait to hear back, maybe things move slower in the brit seen?maybe I want to run before I can walk?? Gives me time to see if I can sort out problems and understand how it runs and electrics is wot the eck

Offline handgun

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2014 at 06:56 »
Hi Graham
try this link you can download PDF of a maintenance manual by member John Holmes         https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=1864.0
You will need a parts manual available from LDMC to identify parts, to interpret the guide
regards
Dave

Offline handgun

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2014 at 14:21 »

Offline Graham prichard

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2014 at 17:26 »
Hiya dave thanks Mr miss Holmes my new heros what a read not so worried thought I'd bought a machine that I couldn't keep on the road got more faith that iv not wasted my money
Given more time I'll have read all on here.
Bike only has one red wire out of magno into reg then to amp meter all the rest are black? Battery has never been used connections are untouched. Checked all wiring to chart which was easy connected battery cautiously all was good?horn works all lights worked?when I put light back in it sparked inside found been put in wrong, then back light cover shorted out all, easy sorted.
Got it warmed up then tick over sorted nice, gave it a 5 mile run, all seemed ok, gear change bit stiff though bit clonky but could be normal for this age I would not have a clue, both barrels got hot at same time when I got back and left it ticking ovet for 5minutes thick paint on both barrels started smoking at the same time, so maybe fault was down  to light reflecter put in upside down and pilot was arching across to amp meter?.haven't done plug test yet will try tomorrow if weather's ok

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2014 at 17:59 »
Hi Graham,
I am glad to hear that John's manual was of help, and that you are growing in confidence with the bike.
I am also surprised that you have not heard from Reg the membership sec of the Douglas Club, if you do not hear in a day or two please send me your details via the personal email system and I will contact you direct, I only live locally to you.
Incidentally I look after the manuals and spares books, for the mark series we publish copies of the works original publications, as Dave mentioned the post 1945 part of the spares system is based on the spares book.
Dave

Offline Graham prichard

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2014 at 19:08 »
Thanks dave hoped someone close to me could help who knows good bad and normal,I've got maintenance and spares book, but am use to Haynes more colour photos less writing,
Can supply chocolate hob nobs with refreshing Yorkshire tea.
Added a photo (I hope)think its a bitsa? From reading model types. engine and frame number's match though

motorcycle