Author Topic: Help with frame  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Help with frame
« on: 19 Nov 2014 at 02:21 »
I am helping sort out some Douglas stuff. I came across a couple of D28 motors and what looks like a D28 frame. However the numbers are confusing.

The frame number is FR 3xxx whereas a D28 should be RF xxx - in the frame listings a FR frame should be a 1934 500-600 OHV but full duplex. This frame looks exactly like a D28 one and we put one of the motors in and it fit perfectly

Anyone seen frame prefixes the wrong way round ?

Attached are some photos.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Help with frame
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2014 at 01:10 »
Ian,

It definitely is a D28 frame; nothing else it could be. As for reversed prefix codes I have not seen one, but I am sure mistakes happened at the factory. The closest I have seen is an colonial RA frame (sloping top tube) that I think mistakenly had the standard RA prefix stamped. Then there was one case I think with a number stamped upside-down.

-Doug

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2014 at 01:33 »
Thanks Doug - good to hear ! I was pretty sure if the motor fitted it would have to be one. I guess gearboxes for these would be hard to come by

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2014 at 01:42 »
I guess gearboxes for these would be hard to come by.

Yes, I would expect so. The gear case would be the special bit. I think there would be a good chance the internals and end cover were the same as the 350EW.

-Doug

Offline Rob S

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2014 at 12:02 »
Ian,
I also have a D28 frame with the FR 3xx ident. Maybe the guy who did the stamping on that day made sure all those frames went to Australia. Anyway happy my frame is no longer an orphan. I can send photos of XG gearbox if it helps.
Rob

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2014 at 08:45 »
Hello Ian,
Think there is a spare gearbox for D28 D 29 in the shed. Funny thing both my frames were D29 saddle tank models so one of them has been modified to D 28 by replacing the top of the frame from an EW. Many years ago I made a replica frame for a D 28 which went to WA and then on to the late Andy Clarke at Geelong. And yes the D models use the specs of the EW crank but from what I have seen the crank dosnt have oil holes and is solid and relies on splash lube.

Alan