Author Topic: 1913 cone clutch  (Read 2786 times)

Offline steveale

1913 cone clutch
« on: 02 Nov 2014 at 11:41 »
Would like to see any detailed pictures of a 1913 clutch and kickstart assembly.  Also anything on the clutch pedal configuration.  Can a clutch be fitted to a non-clutch gearbox?  I am thinking of trying to convert mine to clutch for the cannonball run then go back to original again afterwards.  How hard are clutches to find for this year?  Thanks as always for the insights.  This forum is great.

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: 1913 cone clutch
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2014 at 13:09 »
Steve,

There are cross-sections of the two-speed gearbox and the two-speed gearbox with clutch in the handbook that you have. They use different gear cases, main shaft, and all the striking gear and the clutch itself of course. If you look closely, you will see the gearbox housing has an accommodation to take two posts at the front and rear, which are the supports for the kick start gear and clutch throw-out mechanism. The standard two-speed case lacks these bosses in the casting.

Parts for the early Dougie, especially optional equipment like the clutch and kick starter are scarce. If you have a deadline, you might have to consider manufacturing replicas. One fella was advertising for a clutch foot pedal for years (you have to bore a hole through the foot board, if fitted). Not sure he ever did locate one. You do not really need a clutch unless riding in an urban environment. The Dougies are very easy to start by just paddling of and releasing the exhaust lifter. It will be the brakes (or lack of) that will elevate your heart rate when riding in traffic.

-Doug

[fix display of attached image. 02Nov14 Doug]
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2014 at 23:23 by Doug »

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2014 at 23:24 »
Reflag post because image was not displaying.  -Doug

Offline steveale

« Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2014 at 01:47 »
Thanks, knowing that the view if from above helps understand the cutaway a bit better.  I couldn't determine the angle of the cutaway.  Seeing the actual parts in picture form would also help.  I have some time so fabrication may be better.  I wondered if a more modern centrifugal clutch could be used on the belt pulley, much like modern ATV's or snowmobiles use.  Of course you would have to substitute a modern rubber belt in place of the leather riveted one.  Any thoughts?

Offline carcrank

• Carcrank A day in the life of an old car tragic
« Reply #4 on: 06 Nov 2014 at 10:45 »
Here are a couple of photos of the clutch/gearbox on my 1914 3 1/2Hp, interesting that the clutch is the other way around and the clutch actuation linkage is completely different and only one year different.