Author Topic: 1913 Douglas first drive  (Read 3595 times)

Offline steveale

1913 Douglas first drive
« on: 26 Oct 2014 at 21:32 »
Got the Douglas fired up and running.  Have to learn the correct oiling and other control issues.  It probably smoked a lot due to my amount of oil drip setting (was overly cautious).  Here are a couple of short videos of the first run.  I live in North Georgia, USA the road in the first video is sloped but the bike pulled right up it with no issues.

http://youtu.be/9bQdxJb5LJo

Offline steveale

Re: 1913 Douglas first drive
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2014 at 21:33 »

Offline midman

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2014 at 04:18 »
Nice Steve,
How long have you had it?

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2014 at 04:57 »
looks good
re oiling about a drop every 2-3 seconds works

Offline steveale

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2014 at 13:37 »
Midman, I just picked it up on Friday.  I notice you are in PA. this bike was formerly owned by Gene Aucott, Mr. Vincent USA.  It was a part of his private collection, unfortunately Gene has passed away and I procured it from his estate.  I think Gene lived in the Philadelphia area. 

Ian, thanks for the tip.  Should the plunger stay out if I close the adjusting knob?  I think the instructions said to do 3 pumps to initially oil the system then adjust the drips based on your operating speed.  I thought the book said the plunger would stay out and then slowly descend as the oil flowed.  Mine doesn't stay out, it kind of makes a gurgle sound and goes back in.  I will say that the oil runs while it does this instead of dripping.  My thought is that I have the adjuster still open too far.

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2014 at 22:12 »
You should fill the crankcase with 3 plungers of oil after the old oil has been drained - should be done annually. Yes, if you screw the adjuster right in, the plunger should stay out. I generally use a plungerfull every 3 or 4 miles. I generally put a splash of 2 stroke oil in the petrol too. Sounds like your oil plunger could do with a look at - might need a new washer. Good to see another 1913 one on the road. 

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2014 at 22:41 »
There are three leather washers in the pump - sounds like there may be a problem - as yes the pump is meant to stay out

Offline steveale

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2014 at 13:35 »
Thanks Ian, I removed the plunger last night and the leathers are crusty old relics of their former selves.  My problem currently is that I can become a member of LDMC but they will not sell spares to anyone in the USA.  Does anyone have another source of spare parts?

Offline Chris54

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2014 at 17:33 »
Hi Steveale
I am in the UK but just had a look round and found interesting on ebay check out "hootflipflopandfly" they list leather cup washers.
Chris

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2014 at 22:41 »
Also, if you can get the leather they are pretty straight forward to make - you would just need to make a die

Offline steveale

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2014 at 23:40 »
Thanks guys, I found a supplier in the usa today.  They have cupped leather seals with no hole and I can make the holes for the 2 different areas they are used.  I could only buy them in lots of 12 but I'll have plenty of spares or if anyone needs some.

Ian, I did see how to make them on youtube.  Pretty straight forward. I think you could do it without a dye, just take soaked leather, stretch over a socket planning for the correct OD.  Then use a small size hose clamp to hold it to form until it dries.  But since I found them online I don't have to to through the trouble.

cheers!

motorcycle