Author Topic: DT or SW5 Douglas  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Rousie

DT or SW5 Douglas
« on: 21 Oct 2014 at 19:54 »
Hi Douglas enthusiasts,
I have what I have always called an SW5 Douglas, however on visiting this forum again after many years of absence realise it might be a converted DT5?
Can anybody shed any light on it please?
It is road registered and I think the registration is from around 1930.
I have I think attached pictures?
I look forward to your help.
I hope to run it gain soon too, so any advice on doing this after a long lay up would be much appreciated.
It was last on the road in 1958 in Highgate London.
Thanks
Colin

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: DT or SW5 Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2014 at 21:25 »
Hi Colin,
            Some years ago, I checked out the drawings for the DT and SW frames as I was considering making a repro frame for a sprint machine. From memory, the only difference I could find between the DT frame and an SW frame was that the DT frame only had one lug for a footrest on the RH side bottom rail, whereas the SW frame had footrest lugs on both sides.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Rousie

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014 at 04:46 »
Thanks Eddie,
I guess then because my frame has 2 foot rests it's an SW5?
Do you agree the small flat tank is a Red Devil tank?
I believe the Red Devil Douglas was tuned up by Freddie Dixon.
What do you make of the large tanks in the first picture.
Don't suppose you recognise the bike or can suggest who to ask about it's history?
When I bought the chap said he got it from the family of a friend who had died young, he would say no more than that though.
I bought it in Andover back in 1993.
Thanks
Colin

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2014 at 03:28 »
Colin,

Most SW5s are converted DT5 frames, though some have been skillfully done such that it is hard to tell what is original. Folk add a second footrest, generally a stub welded directly to the frame tube rather than the factory method of a brazed lug. However the most telling difference is the DT has the footrest(s) on the engine bearers about five-six inches forward of the rear down tubes. The SW5 would have the footrest right back near the down tubes, perhaps two inches away along the engine bearers. The footrest on the SW5 are further back. Also the left hand footrest would incorporate a sleeve and stop for a brake pedal.

Then add a front brake anchorage, brakes at both ends, and a flywheel clutch and you have an SW5. The SW5 also had the hand shift gate attached to the petrol tank rather than to the frame. I only know of one machine with that feature. However I believe that the factory themselves dropped that and at some point both models used the DT style gear change quadrant attached to the frame. 

For an extra 10 quid the factory would provide a specially tuned engine by Rex Judd and Freddie Dixon that produced 32hp rather than the standard 27hp. However the 'Red Devils' were the creation of tuner Bert Dixon, and were alleged to produce 34.5hp. 

The smaller tank could be a Red Devil tank, or just a smaller tank someone made up years ago. Verification would be quite difficult.

-Doug