Author Topic: mk 5 valve guide wear  (Read 1620 times)

Offline dalgrae

mk 5 valve guide wear
« on: 20 Oct 2014 at 16:13 »
Can someone please advise me about wear limits on mk5 valve guides ,my engine has a clearance of .004" on the inlet and .007" on the exhaust guide,both of the valves measure up over  their entire lengths the same and are within a couple of tenths of a thou ,so if any wear has happened I assume it is in the guides,when the engine is running at idle the o/s cylinder smokes badly but when the bike is being driven at speeds up to 55 ish mph it is smoke free but when coming back to idle it starts to smoke again after a few seconds

Regards  Colin

Offline David Lawrence

Re: mk 5 valve guide wear
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2014 at 08:59 »
Hi Colin,
Regarding the mark 5 valve guides, I have never seen figures for the later series, however the T35 handbook does have a set of tables quoting working tolerences of the mk 1 motors. The guides are slighty shorter but made of the same material so I doubt the tolerances will be that different. The manual does cover rather more than the mk 3 to 5 one and many owners feel that the manual is worth having. You are probably aware the Douglas Club does have printed copies of these in the archives. the price is a mere 9-00 plus postage.
If you would like a copy please email me direct and I will post you a one.
I assume you have the mark manual and the spares book.
Dave

motorcycle