Author Topic: dragonfly technical questions  (Read 3524 times)

Offline wirralmachinist

dragonfly technical questions
« on: 18 Jul 2014 at 18:51 »
Good evening all.
I'm new to the forum and also new to douglas motorcycles.
I have a few questions with regards to a dragonfly I purchased for restoration.
1. What colour should it be. A name or number for a colour match..
2. When looking on internet at other dragonfly's I have never seen one with chrome mudguards, shock absorber shrouds and also different exhausts..
3 The seat is made of blocks of wood underneath the steel seat base, im guessing this is incorrect. 
I have included a few photos and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Regards Robbie

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2014 at 02:14 by Dave »

Offline David Lawrence

Re: dragonfly technical questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2014 at 10:12 »
Hi Wirralmachinist.
Welcome t the forum and to Douglas ownership :lol:
I suggest that you consider joining the London Douglas Club, which is of course an international club these days.
The Club does have a spares section which holds a fair stock of Dragonfly parts but perhaps as important, that in conjunction with this forum
is a source of advice and information.
Should you be interested please email me direct via the forum and we can discuss more details. One important fact is that the Club supplies both the manual and spares book that were originaly published by Douglas. The spares book has been rewritten to include many of the modifications made by Douglas about which they never bothered to tell us!! ( The spares book FINALLY... is at the printers and should be available very soon :roll: :oops:).
I look forward to hearing from you.
Dave

Offline wirralmachinist

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2014 at 11:29 »
Hi Dave
thanks for the reply.  I'm already a member of the London club. I  had spoken to reg Holmes with regards to technical info. Thats why I'm on  here. I will be very interested in manual when its printed.
Regards robbie

Offline chippy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2014 at 14:44 »
Hi Robbie, I think I can help with a few things, the chrome mudguards and top damper shrouds I believe are a personal thing. the seat base appears to be original but I need to see the front to be sure. Do you have old bike mart if so Leightons on the front cover will supply you with a new cover, sponge and clips. Exhausts and silencers are available from armours of Bournemouth although there is another supplier that some members prefer to use. The basic known colour is stone and green, Is there a paint supplier in your area "Brown brothers distribution ", they did a colour match touch up aerosol for me in cellulose Code 10-0560 yellow selemix 7-310 . so from that you should get the shade for the " stone " . Or if you prefer:-  Berger = ref 1977 / PJA= 6170 x 4060 /glasso =24407 / ICI=3827,---Green ;- berger = ref 1341 /PJA = 6170 x 2050 / glasso = 21677 / ICI = 8120 .  these from our president, although the paint supplier didn't recognize them. Before ordering any exhaust bits , the heads appear to be modified so that's worth checking out first . Regards Eric.

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2014 at 12:04 »
Hi Robbie,
Just a quick note, I have sent you a message regarding manuals and spares book, I hope you receive it ok, please let me know if not.
Dave.