Author Topic: Front fork head race cup bearings  (Read 2619 times)

Offline dalgrae

Front fork head race cup bearings
« on: 09 Jul 2014 at 06:03 »
I need to get a replacement steering head top cup bearing assembly for my Mk5 I need both parts ie the part that fits into the adjustable nut and the part that fits into the frame head location ,does anyone know of a supplier please

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Front fork head race cup bearings
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2014 at 07:05 »
If you are an LDMCC member, try the club's spares scheme - but, beware, there were 3 versions of the top head bearing on the Mark series machines. The original bearing was in the form of a thrust race with 2 identical halves (numbered 2016). The next version was a cup and cone type with the fork top plate bearing directly on the thread of the steering head stem. The later version had a spigot for the top plate to bear on, and the hole in the top plate was opened up accordingly.
   The early bearings (2016) are no longer available from bearing stockists, but the Club was having the later type re-manufactured.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 2014 at 12:54 »
Thanks for the reply yes I am a member of the club ,but they do not have any as a spare part .Trying to identify what I have is the type where the top cup is part of the djuster nut the only part numbers I can possibly make out are  on removing the cup from the nut

R & M    B1-78-  the missing numbers could be a 2  and a 0

-916/4

18G5  or 78G5

Regards  Colin

Offline dalgrae

« Reply #3 on: 09 Jul 2014 at 17:59 »
At last managed to identify the bearing cup as 2016 and as you say it is not available anymore so Eddie what options do I have as club spares do not have any parts at all or are being made,I have thought about making a plain bush arrangement if this is all I can get to but am not sure any suggestions most welcome

regards  Colin