Author Topic: DouglasEW350 GearBox Please help me.  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Yuki

DouglasEW350 GearBox Please help me.
« on: 18 Jun 2014 at 09:33 »
Allow a weak point [ English ] and the thing which is hard to read.
I have ridden on DouglasEW350 in Japan.
I am troubled by the trouble of a gear box now -- I want you to help
Since Dog does not gear at the time of a shift change, it is flipped and there is sound from a gear box.
a shift change can be carried out if it puts in forcibly -- sound is uncanny but.
If brakes are applied to the primary gear on the gear box side, a shift change can be carried out smoothly.
the clutch trouble was thought and the plate was recovered  it was not repaired but.
Please help me, if the solution of such a trouble is known.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2014 at 09:59 by Yuki »

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: DouglasEW350 GearBox Please help me.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2014 at 14:13 »
Hello Yuki,

Your description appears to be of a noisy and difficult change of gear. If you apply a slight drag to the primary chain, the gear change is improved. If this is the situation, it sounds like the clutch is not releasing fully (clutch drag).

Renewing the clutch friction material can make this worse. The new lining is thicker than the old, reducing the available clearance inside the clutch when it is disengaged. In these situations, the problem is usually the center hub of the clutch is worn where it supports the clutch disk center, or the sleeve that it turns on. Excessive wear at these locations allow the clutch disk to tilt when disengaged (because of the pull from the primary chain) and drag along its outer diameter.

To test, disengage the clutch. With the gearbox in neutral, you should be able to rotate the primary chain with no indication of drag. Reach in behind the flywheel with a pair of screw drivers and try to move the sprocket in and out. It is o.k. if the sprocket moves in and out (axial), but it should not wobble excessively. It is difficult to say how much wobble is too much. It depends on how much clearance there is for the clutch disk. Also there were different designs of clutch fitted to the EW, and the possibility of fitting the same size clutch from a Douglas model up to 1936. These different designs handled the method of supporting the clutch disk differently, which affects how much wobble was possible. To point is to minimize the wobble as this encourages clutch drag.

-Doug

Offline Douglas52

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2014 at 04:15 »
Hi Yuki
My EW350 has an approx 2mm thick spacer ring between the flywheel and backplate. This gives approx 2mm more clearance for the clutch friction disc. The spacer ring was made from an old backplate, but it would be easy to make from steel sheetmetal.

Cheers
Steve

Update image links. 30Jul19 Doug, Site moderator
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2019 at 18:11 by Doug »

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2014 at 12:07 »
I have found that running the primary chain slack helps with the gear change. If the chain looks to have the 'correct' amount of slack it is too tight.

Offline Yuki

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2014 at 02:01 »
Thank you very much for much answers.
Translation takes time.
Anew, a result is reported after trying.

Yuki