Author Topic: Please Help  (Read 3961 times)

Offline ManfrerdSt

Please Help
« on: 09 Jun 2014 at 12:08 »
Hello Douglas Friends,

I'm going to restore a T6/1931 and have the engine many questions.
Are there new screws for the cylinder heads? or hexagonal material in inch size for making of screws?
Which function has the round part with the four springs?
How is the front cylinder (valves) are supplied with oil? (The rear has an oil passage from the oil pump, the front cylinder has no passage)
Are there except when LDMCC other people the new parts (replicas) for the motor have? 
Is there a man who specializes in these engines?

Sorry for my English, it is Google's English.

Regards
     Manfred

Offline David Lawrence

Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2014 at 13:45 »
Hi Manfred,
I am sorry I cannot help with accurate information but I do hold the Douglas Club stock of some of reprinted works manuals, we have in stock both the parts list and manual for the S6 range.
You are welcome to buy both or one, if you would like them please let me know via my email ikon giving me your address and details.
They cost £8-00 each plus post (Sterling).
The Club can accept paypal payments from overseas.
Good luck with your rebuild.
Dave.
(I hope google makes a good translation as I must apologise for knowing very little German)!! :frown:

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jun 2014 at 15:00 »
Hi Manfred
I can answer some of your queries. There are no new screws available for the cylinder head bolts but Hexagon bar 0.525" across flats is available in either stainless steel or mild steel from material suppliers who advertise in the British motorcycle papers and magazines. The thread on these bolts is 3/8" BSF. The hexagon bar is also available at 0.445" across flats for the bolts for the inlet manifold. Take care here for the bolt thread is 5/16" x 25 threads per inch which is one of the Douglas special threads. The disc with the four springs is a timed breather. No doubt other more knowledgeable members will be able to help with your other questions. Chris.
P.S. The special Douglas Thread taps and dies are available from the LDMCC spares scheme for members of the Club.

Offline ManfrerdSt

« Reply #3 on: 09 Jun 2014 at 17:33 »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the info.
I'm a member and have seen the spare list. For the T6/S6 not many parts are in the list. Since my engine has been revised several times in his past, I have to check the originality of the first thread.
Is there a list of the special thread on the motorcycle?
Can I get the address where I can buy the Hexagonal bars? (in Germany there are only Metric). I can not buy any English magazines here in the province.
It is very uneconomical for the manufacture of about 20 screws to spend about € 200 for threading tool.
Maybe someone can sell the screws?

Hi David,
I have the spare parts list and an original of "Pitmans Book of the Douglas".
Here, however, the fifth edition, which I would exchange it for the third.
Is the "Pitmans Book" to compare with the "Work Manual"?

Regards
     Manfred

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jun 2014 at 21:19 »
Hi again Manfred
It is the policy of the LDMCC Spares Scheme to hold mainly the consumable items of the most popular models. Unfortunately Douglas Motors produced a huge number of models, as many as 13 in one year, which was suicide financially for a small company. This makes it impossible for a full range of spares to be held for all models. Regretably spares held for the T6 are limited to most of the springs, engine valves, footrest, handlebar and tank rubbers and some other small parts.
I am not aware of a list of the special threads for S6/T6 on The Forum but generally speaking the 5/16" threads are the Douglas special with 25 threads per inch. If the engine has been worked on before by someone without the correct tools the threads may have been tapped out to standard threads so you do need to examine what you have. The other commonly used Douglas special thread is 17/64" x 25 tpi generally used instead of 1/4" BSF or Cycle threads. It is not economic to buy the tap and die sets if you are only making a few bolts and I do not know anyone who makes them but they can be screwcut on a lathe. I will look for the address of the firm that I buy the hexagon bar from. They do Mail order and I will check whether he is willing to post to Germany. I will send you a personal message when I have the address and information on his export policy. Chris.
P.S. in response to the question put to David I think that you will find the Douglas Care and Maintenance of the T6 S6 and S5 Models booklet that David can supply has a lot more useful information than the Pitmans books and you would be well advised to have a copy.