Author Topic: First ride out!  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Blingrims

First ride out!
« on: 06 Jun 2014 at 06:45 »

Finally got the dragonfly running and took her for her first ride in 4 years. Was really impressed how nicely it rides. Thanks to all the help I have had on here so far. Not knowing what to expect from a classic I have s few questions!:

1) The gearbox is quite clunky going both up and down through the gears (worse down) is this normal? It will engage but grinds, I have found that blipping the throttle helps
2) once running at speed, say 35mph, if I go wide open throttle there is some clutch slip. Is the clutch on the fly adjustable or do I need a new one?
3) lastly I want to do a full oil change but can't find the refill quantities for gearbox and engine does someone have them?

Thanks again

Offline chippy

Re: First ride out!
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jun 2014 at 16:05 »
Jon, My experience of Dragonflys is extremely limited so I wouldn't presume to advise you about changing gear, however the other two points are more likely to be basics. Yes the clutch is adjustable, do you have free play at the lever, if not you need some, and to go about getting it you will need to screw the clutch cable in at the left hand rear of the engine cover until you have something like about 5-8mm at the handlebar lever, however if you slacken it to much the clutch will not disengage, so it's a balance, If that doesn't do the trick it either could be worn out or contaminated with oil and need more investigation.
The capacities are ;- engine  3.4ltrs
                               gearbox  1ltr (approx.)  as stated in the hand book

Regards Eric.

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #2 on: 06 Jun 2014 at 20:31 »
Thanks so much Eric really helpful. Strangely enough I am finding the more I ride it the more faults develop! It was running sweetly now the rh cylinder is popping and banging and the exhaust pipe exiting the side of the barrell is going dark! Switched off for investigation tomorrow!

Offline chippy

« Reply #3 on: 07 Jun 2014 at 14:10 »
Jon ,  Do you have a parts list, I would recommend buying one, if only to help identify specific parts when discussing them on the forum.
 If this fault only occurs on the right hand cylinder it sounds as though it is running weak, the first place I would look is at the right hand induction pipe ( 34365 ) each end of this pipe is a gland, the simple answer could be that the screws have become loose, if not, my next move would be to remove glands and pipe ,check the gaskets each end also the "o " rings twixt pipe and gland ( pipe just pulls out of gland, may be a bit tight. ) any damage to these gaskets and "o" rings could allow air to be drawn in therefore weakening the mixture. whilst the glands are removed it is worthwhile checking the surface is flat where they join gearbox and cyl/head otherwise it is unlikely they would make a good seal when refitted. the darkening of the pipe is because its running to hot due to a weak mixture. Eric.

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun 2014 at 18:02 »

I don't have a parts list yet but I will order one, thanks for the advice I will check what you mentioned as on visual inspection there is a difference in the joint left to right