Author Topic: Starting problem  (Read 3507 times)

Offline Blingrims

Starting problem
« on: 16 May 2014 at 21:25 »

I wonder if anyone could help a newbie mechanic! I am trying to start my dragonfly which has not been started for 2 years. I have drained old fuel and refilled it, fitted a new battery, and checked that I have spark. I am kicking the bike over and it is trying to start but just not quite making it. Every 10 kicks or so the carb "backfires" and I get a small puff of smoke.

What should I be checking next? Thanks

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Starting problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2014 at 10:25 »
Jon,
       Our modern 'petrol' does tend to dry out to leave a 'lacquer' in the carburettor and jets. If you have only just put the new fuel in the tank, make sure the tank filter is not restricting the supply. Do this by removing the petrol pipe from the carb and check the fuel flows full bore, then replace the pipe - this will also make sure there is no air lock in the pipe. Try starting the bike without using the choke - just press the tickler until petrol spurts from the bleed hole, then with the throttle slightly opened, kick the engine over and it should start. If the bike still wont start, there is probably a blockage within the carb which will necessitate a carb stripdown. This is reasonably straight forward. The main thing to look for will be blocked jets or passages. With the bottom bolt removed and also the locating screw on the side of the body, you can press the choke block out of the centre of the carb. You will find a small (about 30 thou) metering hole in the back of the choke block and also a similar hole drilled diagonally into the bottom of the bore of the main body - make sure both of these are clear. In a Monobloc carb there are no nasties like diaphragms to split, or springs and balls to take you by surprise, so you shouldn't encounter any major problems.
  If you do get stumped, get back to me.
   Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2014 at 10:32 »
Jon,
      Margaret has just found an Amal ' Hints and Tips' leaflet on the Monobloc carb, which she will post off to you.

Eddie.

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2014 at 15:17 »
Legendary as always! Just to be clear (and to ask another stupid question) I am assuming the lever on the oh bar is the choke but there are no indicators to say open or closed. Which way is which? Also what's a tickler? Can't tell this is all new can you!

Offline jyprfc

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2014 at 15:48 »
hi Jon the tickler is the small button on top of carb float bowl   jim

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2014 at 16:07 »

Thanks very much I will go and give it another try

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2014 at 16:37 »
Nope just won't play ball I guess that's my induction to classic bikes! Fuel streaming from tank if I take hose off, fuel coming from carb if I hold down the tickler, but still won't fire. Should choke be pulled towards or away from me?

Offline chippy

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2014 at 19:08 »
Jon, Is this bike new to you or have you just not used it for a long time.  Having putting new fuel in, that side should be OK unless of course the carb is gummed up. To set the choke, the lever should be forward and back for off.  For normal cold starting tickle the carb with choke off and a couple of kicks and it should be away. so obviously something is not as it should be. My next move would be to check the plugs ,are they - oily - wet with fuel - completely dry - sooty -what colour  - do they smell of fuel -  size of gap , is there a good spark at each plug and at the gap and not up inside - try a spare set !    It has been known for the points to fester after being left for a long period and not operating correctly . also is there compression on both cylinders.   However plugs are the easiest carb is next. No joy ?, you're never alone with the forum !.   Eric

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2014 at 21:38 »

She's alive! Followed the start up procedure after replacing plugs and cleaning points and she's now running a treat. Sits idling quite happily and just took her for a first spin around the block. First observation, the brakes are not quite Brembo's!