Author Topic: lookin for an EW oil pump...  (Read 2802 times)

Offline shuswapkev

lookin for an EW oil pump...
« on: 29 Apr 2014 at 11:45 »
i am quickly getting a bunch of parts to assemble a 1926 EW...
 the one part that seems a bit elusive is the oil pump...the one inside the engine... i have found the drawing for the tank one...looks easy enough
coulld someone post a picture...so at least i know what i am looking for...or better yet...offer one up...  any condition... i can repair or make pretty much anything...if i have a pattern
   i am in southern queensland...gold coast

also in need of enough to part together a magneto...

also ...are there any photos available of the engine parts??  or blow up drawings??

cheers...

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: lookin for an EW oil pump...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2014 at 00:57 »
There are two styles of EW oil pump; a gear type and a plunger type. Most likely yours used the plunger type as it superseded the gear type early on. Pictures of the plunger type can be found here. Suggest an advert in the parts wanted section.

http://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=1002.msg3305#msg3305

-Doug

Offline carl denton

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2015 at 06:31 »
hello

last year you was looking for a oil pump for a ew douglas did you have any luck ? I picked up a ew in boxes and the oil pump looks like it could be a problem for me too .

yours carl

Offline shuswapkev

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2015 at 11:40 »
carl
 oweryagoin

wondered why my old posting was back up front
I did get an oil pump...not sure what condition...the drive gear is tripped...so wenyt out and bought a rotary table and a cutter to make the little gear...wanted the rotary table for a ,long time and just needed an excuse to buy..so...we,ll see how the gear cutting goes..
haven't had much time to work on the  ew...but i just completed the crank last week...had to resize the rod big ends...make some roller races to fit the rods...heat treat and then grind to size and lap to finish up...must have over 50 hours in that thing...between making all my parts out of the wrong or defective steel...wouldn't resond to heat treat???  then made all new stuff...hardening worked well...then a the setups jigs to finish up.  fitted sleeves in my cylinders...and just finished boring the sleeve to size...  one more to go..

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2015 at 13:45 »
While we are on the subject of the EW oiling system what is the role of the oil tap on the tank it does seem (reading some old literature ) to have a role other than just allowing the oil to come out of tank into the system. I just turn it 'on' ie lever down but it can return to a forward or rearward horizontal position.

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2015 at 16:18 »
The early EW's had a single feed to the timing cover and used a three way tap. The later ones have two connections on the timing cover I will assume you have the latter. The boss below the hand pump has a one way 'clacket' valve which stops the oil returning to the tank, routing the oil from the pump to the sight glass. The tap is a simple on off job. The earlier type uses a three way tap, hand pump/off/mechanical pump.
The earlier type relies on an airtight circuit to work properly. The latter is less susceptible to air leaks. My understanding is that most were converted to the later two feed type. If so the tap is an on/off tap.
Hope that helps.
Andy.

Offline oily bloke

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2015 at 16:22 »
This may help to determine what setup you have;

http://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=1002.msg3318#msg3318