Author Topic: stand the strain  (Read 4173 times)

Offline tck

• old racer
stand the strain
« on: 13 Apr 2014 at 17:50 »
While I am working on the underside of my T35 with waffle box I wonder what can be done to ease the strain of putting it on the stand?. I read that my T35 is the easiest! heaven knows what the others are like. to put it in perspective I also have a 2013 GS1200 BMW and thats an easy job to use the center stand. Has anyone done a mod to prevent that hernia or is there some detailed choreographed movements (as per the Vincent rear stand instructions) that will make it easier?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: stand the strain
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2014 at 18:35 »
Tck,
       If you are having problems getting the bike onto the stand, the first question to ask is "have you got the correct stand?" Machines fitted with the 'waffle box' silencer should have the wide stand - which normally doesn't present any problems. Machines with barrel silencers were fitted with a narrow stand that tucked away inboard of the silencers. These stands had a foot pad half way up the left hand leg - this should be used to drop the stand out of the spring clip. Once out of the clip, you can get your boot onto the bottom of leg of the stand - and again lifting the bike onto the stand is not a problem. With these narrow stands, a lot of owners try lifting it onto the stand with their foot on the foot pad - now this is almost impossible!! If your bike is fitted with the correct stand return spring, and the spring clip and backing plate (they bolt to the front end of the rear mudguard - on the front fixing for the mudguard and a second bolt through just the mudguard), lifting the bike onto the stand is an easy 2 stage operation.
   Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2014 at 18:57 »
thanks for your input Eddie do you (or anyone else) have relative dimensions of wide and narrow to check?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2014 at 19:25 »
Tck,
       The wide stand has quite widely splayed legs, the ends of which tuck up just behind the rear covers on the torsion bars. The narrow stand has the top of the legs splayed then the rest of the legs run parallel, with the ends tucked up just behind the vertical links between the swinging arm and the torsion bar. The wide stand was far superior to the narrow version but cannot be used with barrel silencers. However narrow stands have often been retro-fitted to machines that once sported a wide stand.

Eddie.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2014 at 08:00 »
looks like I may have the narrow stand RH leg is about 3/8" from tyre LH leg is about 1/2" is there a supply of wide legs anywhere LDC perhaps?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2014 at 09:45 »
Tck,
       If you are a member of the LDMCC, try contacting the spares secretary. The spares scheme used to keep both types of stand in stock. From memory, I think the part numbers were 37966(N) for the narrow stand and 37966(W) for the wide one.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2014 at 07:43 »
Nope no wide ones available at LDC  just have to use the side stand I mounted on the underside of the cylinder just have to remember its there during exuberant LH corners!

Offline grav220

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2014 at 14:40 »
Hi
A follow on to the stand issue.
I also have problems getting my Mk1 on to its narrow alloy stand. It was initially difficult and after getting it running and taking a few turns round the block it is now impossible. Perhaps the suspension has settled? My bike looks quite low to the ground and I am wondering if the rear suspension has been set up properly. According to the book it is set by the angle of the forked levers to the horizontal, and this looks about right.
Can anyone measure the height of the frame for me please? Perhaps the distance from ground to the rear of the torsion/frame tubes, unloaded.
Thanks
Graham