Author Topic: Douglas 2 3/4 which year ?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline douglas-bg

Douglas 2 3/4 which year ?
« on: 26 Mar 2014 at 16:38 »
Hello to all,

a friend of mine have this Douglas and told me that is 1915. But according the engine number must be 1917. What is you opinion. Hope you can help in the correct dating of this Douglas.

Engine number: 33086
Frame number: 33344

someone already ask about it in this topic:
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=5223.0

Thank you in advanced

Best regards
Valentin

« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2014 at 16:46 by douglas-bg »

Offline David Lawrence

Re: Douglas 2 3/4 which year ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2014 at 22:10 »
Hi Valentin,
I am replying on behalf of Len Boydell, the Douglas Club machine registrar.
We have checked the numbers of the bike, according to the works records the engine is definitely from 1917.
We are not so certain of the frame numbers around that time but the evidence suggests that your number would have been late 1916 or early 1917 so with the engine being 1917 I think it is safe to say that the bike is 1917.
Much of the confusion of the 2 3/4's of that period is due to the fact that during the first world war many damaged bikes were repaired using any undamaged parts that were available. Some of this work was done back at Bristol by the works, but of course some was undertaken in the field by the military, keeping accurate records of what was done was unlikely to be that important at the time!
How the bike came to rest in Bulgaria is a mystery, but if the bike could only tell us, it would make a very interesting story.
Please continue to bring the old bike back to life it certainly is a survivor.
I have not checked if you or your friend has joined us in The London Douglas Club but we are now the world wide owners club with members in many countries, we would welcome you into our ranks!
Details fo how to join can be found on the Club website www.douglasmcc.co.uk
Dave.

Offline arturro

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2014 at 22:33 »
This is the same bike from Ian's post from youtube.com
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=5223.0

Artur

Offline douglas-bg

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2014 at 06:22 »
Hello to all,

thank you for your fast answer Dave. I was also thinking that is more possible to be 1917 and not 1915. I will told to the owner this information and will correct the date in the video that I post in youtube. We are working on a Douglas-Amac carb so very soon the bike will be equiped with a proper carb. I will notice the owner to go into your club. I will try to learn more about the history of this bike. But much possible that this bike come into Bulgaria during WWI. We know the Douglas 2 3/4 and Triumph model H was the most popular military motorcycle in the Allie forces. At the moment the owner is working on 1917 Bianchi C75. It is from the same period but was built for Italian army during WWI. Congratulations for this awesome forum.

Best regards
Valentin

Offline Hutch

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2014 at 01:43 »
Hi Valentin,

Fantastic bike and thanks for posting the video on youtube!. I hope that the owner doesn't restore the bike, but just keeps it the way it is as the patina is wonderful and it is a good reference for those of us who are trying to assemble 2 3/4's from a pile of rusty bits!

Cheers

Ian

Offline douglas-bg

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2014 at 03:42 »
Hello Ian,

thank you for the compliments. The owner will keep the bike in "as found" condition. I'm happy you like the video. When we finish the carb will make another one already with the Douglas-Amac. Good luck to all that still try to bring it back to life such an old irons.

Best regards
Valentin