Author Topic: Newbie, please be gentle  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Blingrims

Newbie, please be gentle
« on: 16 Mar 2014 at 19:37 »

Hi guys, please be gentle! I am shortly to become the proud owner of a Dragonfly. I am completely new to classic bikes, but by no means a newbie to mechanics, owning a 635csi, mini cooper, BMW 1200GS, and shortly a BMW R9T.

I have a few questions that perhaps you could point me in the direction of the following:

1) The bike I am getting is very good condition, but has not been ridden since 2009. What would you recommend checking before I fire her up? I was going to do the obvious of drain fuel, change oil, new battery, but I wondered if there is anything specific to this model to consider
2) Is there a good workshop manual or guide that is worth investing in?
3) Do most of the spares come through the club?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is exciting!

Offline Blingrims

Re: Newbie, please be gentle
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2014 at 18:12 »
anybody out there? I have that new toy buzz!

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2014 at 19:56 »
Hi,
     Welcome to the world of Douglas. I'll try to answer your questions.
  1) Yes, definitely drain the fuel and put in a gallon of fresh unleaded. Leave the oil change until you have the motor well warmed up - the sump is quite a large flat area and the warmed oil will drain better. If the bike is reluctant to start, check that the ammeter flicks as you kick it over. If it doesn't, clean the points and spray some WD40 on the underside of the lighting/ignition switch - the contacts may be tarnished after standing for 5 years. If the ammeter does flick and the bike still wont start, the old petrol has probably congealed in the bottom of the carb, so a full carb strip may be necessary.
  2) There are 2 books on the Dragonfly - the 1st is the owner's manual that would have been supplied when the bike was new. The 2nd is the spare parts book which is fully illustrated with all the part numbers. Reprints of these books are available through The London Douglas Motorcycle Club.
  3) The LDMCC spares scheme can supply most of the parts that need replacement through normal wear and tear. Membership is currently £18 per annum.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2014 at 20:47 »
Eddie, thank you very much for your helpful comments. I will follow the instructions and order up the books, sounds good.

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2014 at 20:51 »
On the subject of the LDMCC can anyone tell me the details for card payment? I sent off for the pack but my wide binned everything apart from the magazine!

Offline Reg

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2014 at 16:30 »
Blingrims,

Go to the LDMCC web site www.douglasmcc.co.uk and download and complete the membership application and machine details forms and return with a cheque made payable to LDMCC Ltd for £18 to my address which you will find in the magazine your wife saved for you! Credit card payment is not an option for UK members.

Reg                     Membership Secretary. LDMCC Ltd.

Offline Blingrims

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2014 at 20:03 »
Reg, thanks it's now a work in progress. I am the chap buying one of Macs old bikes, I will post some pics once the deal is officially done