Author Topic: 1936 Aero Clutch - missing parts  (Read 5635 times)

Offline RolloTurner

1936 Aero Clutch - missing parts
« on: 29 Dec 2013 at 08:51 »
I am building a 1936 250 Aero and seem to have some missing parts from the clutch. Thiose I have are shown in the photos. The missing bits seem to be where the clutch springs go - there should, I assume be some sort of cage for the springs on the outside of the flywheel which screws in to the four small threaded holes in the flywheel? if someone could send me a photo and some dimensions I can possibly make this myself, or alterrnatively happy to purchase one if you have a spare?

On the inside of the flywheel is a thin, lipped metal plate onto which I assume the springs just press, shown in the picture of the flywheel. Also I lack the crankshaft securing nut (if anyone has one that would be great!) and whatever screws into the large threaded hole in the flywheel outside the crankshaft and nut. I am not sure if I have all the rest of the pieces but hope the eagle eyed amongst you can help!
Many thyanks for any help
Rollo

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: 1936 Aero Clutch - missing parts
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2013 at 11:14 »
Hi Rollo
   I am unable to help with any parts but for info. the large thread in the flywheel is in all cases of Douglas flywheel clutches used for extraction of the flywheel from the taper on the crankshaft. On the early small flywheel clutches used for CW, EW and several other models the thread is fine and a special extractor/puller is screwed into the thread only for extraction and is otherwise not used while assembled and running. It is important that only this method is used as invariably a three leg puller on the rim of the flywheel will distort the flywheel leaving it rotating badly out of alignment. (The wall thickness of the flywheel between the centre hub and the rim is barely 1/8" thick.) The special Puller is available from the LDMCC spares scheme. On the later and larger flywheel clutches the thread which is much coarser is used for a castellated ring which is screwed in behind the nut holding the flywheel so that when undoing the nut it self extracts the flywheel, again ensuring that extraction forces are limited to the centre of the flywheel hub. Chris.

Offline RolloTurner

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2013 at 12:31 »
Thanks Chris, that at least is one puzzle solved! If you have a photo/drawing of whatever should be on the front of the flywheel so that I can possibly make one that would be really good!
Best wishes
Rollo

Offline Edin

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2013 at 15:22 »
Hej Rollo
Where do you live?
I can maybe help you with some of the part and some pictures
Regards Edin DK

Offline RolloTurner

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2013 at 15:57 »
I live in the UK - High Wycombe is my town - look forward to hearing from you
Rollo

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2013 at 00:08 »
Rollo,

Here are some pics from my 1936 Aero 600, of the bits you are missing.

The inside faces of the spring plate (left) and the sheet metal flange that contains it. Note the blister and notch the stop the spring plate from rotating.

Outside faces of the same.

The flywheel nut and the jam nut (right). I should have placed this to the left of the left of the crankshaft nut. When the jam nut is screwed in tight against the flywheel nut (straddling the hex portion), it jams it. When backed off a few turns it allows the flywheel nut to be unscrewed. It then bears against the jam nut and extracts the flywheel from the crankshaft taper. The external thread on the crankshaft nut is for the nut the adjusts the pressure on the clutch springs. I did not have one of these handy, but you will come across other images of them on this forum. This has a large spigot that fits in the central hole of the spring plate.

-Doug

Offline RolloTurner

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2013 at 07:47 »
Thanks, Doug for a very full answer. Now I understand what it is I am missing I have a hope of making most of the pieces with any luck.  I am a bit puzzled about one thing though and that is how the roller bearings and ball race pressure plate at the back get lubricated - or are you supposed to completely disassemble and grease every few months?
Thanks again for the photos and explanation
Rollo

Offline RolloTurner

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2013 at 11:48 »
Ignore last post about lubrication - just realised what I thought was a keyway is a channel! Think I need some new glasses!!
Rollo