Author Topic: Dragonfly oil out not in  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Richmond

Dragonfly oil out not in
« on: 18 Jul 2013 at 10:50 »
Hi
Help please. I have a significant amount of oil exuding mainly from the alternator cable bush. I understand that there is a breather but am not sure how it functions. Is it venting to the outside world, if so where to, or is it venting, in again where from. From the parts book it appears to be mounted on the timing chest cover is this so and if it is not functioning  would this show as my problem. I realise that the lubrication is via "mist" to the rockers etc so presumably a positive pressure is required. (For my sins I have a 2CV this has a negative crankcase pressure via a reed valve to minimise oil leaks but with the rockers fed via oil ways). I am reluctant to strip down until I understand the system. Is this just a feature of the model?

Regards Rich

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly oil out not in
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2013 at 12:05 »
Hi Rich,
            Yes, the Dragonfly does have breather - it is mounted on the inside of the alternator cover. It is a steel disc with 6 holes covered by spring steel 'petals' - this allows fumes to breathe out but prevents air entering the crankcase. It is often found that these 'petals' are perforated or rusted away completely, resulting in the oil loss you are experiencing. The gases passing the valve travel through a drilling to the bottom of the alternator cover, and then through it's joint face with the timing cover, and through another drilling to exit from the short spout just off-centre of the bottom of the timing cover. If no breathing is evident from the exit, check that the necessary holes have been cut in the generator cover gasket ( there are 2 of them - one is for the breather and the other is the oil feed to the crankshaft).
     Regarding the oil leak - you may have problems locating a suitable size grommet for the cable. I normally try to find one that is a good fit in the case, and then shrink on some heat shrink sleeving to the cable, until it is a good fit in the grommet.
    The partial vacuum in the crankcase doesn't affect the 'mist oiling' to the rockers - this is provided by the pumping action of the 2 pistons rising and falling together.

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline Richmond

Re: Dragonfly oil out not in
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2013 at 07:21 »
Thanks Eddie.

Now I know how it works the tools will come out.

As a rider, are the two bolts on the bottom of the alternator cover the drillings you mention.

Regards Rich