Author Topic: Vintage Douglas SW5 "Road Racer" project bike - now sold  (Read 7587 times)

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page

Sorry, the bike is now sold.

Looking for a good home for a c1928-30 DT5/SW5 "project bike". A rare opportunity to purchase a mostly-complete project for restoration. The SW5 is the racy but road legal version of the famous Dirt Track DT5. Think of it as the BSA Gold Star (or should I say 90 Plus!) of the vintage years.

This bike is the last of the three OHV Douglas projects https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=4954.0  from the shed. There are other OHV Douglases, but these are restored bikes http://earlymotor.com/forsale

The SW5 project bike is built up from correct period parts.

The chassis is Dirt Track (as used in SW5s), frame number TF1269, fitted with single spring front fork, handlebars etc. All good solid metal - no obvious rust. Front fork is fitted with the correct friction damper (Andre style).

The motor is the tall-airbox dirt-track-style "double stamped" engine https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=4867.0 which comes complete with carburettors and magneto. The engine is stamped with engine numbers EL 1126 and HC OE 535. The motor was acquired 20-odd years ago in the condition it is seen now; the exterior looks excellent but the interior condition is unknown. Because of the spares available in the collection, any major engine part that is damaged (beyond normal wear and tear) can be exchanged for a useable part if one can be found (very likely).

There will be an appropriate gearbox, two-into-one exhaust, and most likely a complete flywheel clutch (if not complete, there should be most parts of a clutch).

The wheels will have Douglas splined hubs with internal-expanding "servo" drum brakes. Wired-on rims will be fitted to the hubs, and a pair of 28x2 1/2 BE rims can be supplied with the project if desired. We should be able to do a seat approximating the original style. There is no petrol/oil tank (although appropriate fittings may be available). A gear lever and quadrant and at least one reproduction mudguard will likely be available. Will search for footrests and brake pedal.

This project should have the makings of a very good late 1920s road-going racy Douglas, which will be very close to correct SW5 specification. At the moment it is only advertised here on the Douglas Forum, but if necessary I will advertise it elsewhere. Offers anyone? Use PM or email icons to contact me if you're interested.

If you wish to skip the tricky bits of restoring a bike, the restored SW5 will be offered soon. See http://earlymotor.com/forsale

Leon
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013 at 18:02 by cardan »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
Re: Vintage Douglas SW5 "Road Racer" project bike
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2013 at 23:54 »

A bit of work and you'd have something like this:

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2013 at 06:50 »
This is the chassis that is the basis of the project bike. The 19" (?) rim and tyre looks pretty roly-poly compared with the correct 28x2 1/2 BE on the DT5 chassis behind (now sold). There's something about vintage bikes with skinny wheels... A pair of correct rims come with the project, as does a motor, clutch, gear box, brake bands and backing plates and all sorts of other stuff. Even decent handlebar control levers (inverted levers on the bar ends) and a straight-pull twist grip correct for the era.

« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2013 at 07:00 by cardan »

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 02 Aug 2013 at 03:24 »

No interest at all it seems. I'm surprised; to me it looks incredibly appealing. I'll advertise it elsewhere.

Leon

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2013 at 23:01 »

After a day or so of fettling...

Offline roger h

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2013 at 21:21 »
Hi Leon,
What's the price area please for the DT/SW project?
Roger
(Cumbria, UK)

Offline cardan

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2013 at 09:17 »

Hi Roger,
Happy to listen to offers - I've sent you an email.
Cheers
Leon