Author Topic: CW Exhaust  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
CW Exhaust
« on: 05 Jul 2013 at 04:22 »
Folks, an exhaust maker here in Australia asked me about details on CW exhaust systems - he has to make one from scratch. From the photos on the site there were two types - similar to TS or the zoom zoom type - the latter picture in a book on models I have as well. Which would be the standard ? Could someone send some detail photos/measurements ?

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: CW Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2013 at 21:09 »
Ian,

Well it depends on the year.  In 1923-24 it looks like the CW used the older TS style; the pipes go directly to an expansion chamber under the engine. In 1925, the CW got a branched manifold that lead to a small cast alloy silencer along side the rear wheel.

Doug

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2013 at 22:37 »
Thanks Doug. I guess he will have to decide what year first !

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2013 at 22:49 »
Hello Ian,
               according to "Douglas the motorcycle range"  compiled by Douglas Frost, there are three types, 1924 had the normal TS type, 1925 had a zoom zoom type and 1926 had the first half of a TS with a 1 1/2" pipe out under the rear chain and stops just after the rear axle ending in a small fishtail. I could send a rough plan of this as I am struggling through one at the moment, regards Jim

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2013 at 03:26 »
Thanks Jim, its a Victorian exhaust maker who asked me ! Any details would be welcomed I think

Offline franky

« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2013 at 06:30 »
My 25 cw is nearing completion and it has a two into one on the right side which flows into a cast alloy muffler that I don't have. However I am at present trying to construct one from an original factory drawing sent kindly to me from a LDMC member, yes it has a factory part number and therefore was drawn by the Douglas factory. The pdf supplied is, while slightly grainy well detailed and provides exact specs and shape. I am attempting to roll mine from 2mm alloy and have a friend in the trade who can weld. So far the construction is proving difficult. If it all goes pear shaped for me please let me know the exhaust maker and he may be able to help me out as well.
Thanks Frank
Bathurst NSW.