Author Topic: Mk3 frame repair  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Ray Dodds

Mk3 frame repair
« on: 08 May 2013 at 07:58 »
Hi All, Can anyone recomend a company to re tube my Mr 3 sports Frame, im devastated just as i thought its time to ride disaster struck.

Title expanded - 24th May 2013
« Last Edit: 24 May 2013 at 20:01 by Dave »

Offline Dawn

Re: frame repair
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2013 at 13:24 »
Hi Ray,

Where are you based?

Offline Ray Dodds

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2013 at 12:38 »
Hi Dawn i am in south wales but i  am willing to take it where ever i need too. :(

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2013 at 16:00 »
Ray,
       Whereabouts has your frame failed? If it is at the front of the rear lug, it may be repairable without resorting to having it re-tubed. There is an account elsewhere on this forum of a similar repair that I did some years ago. It involves cutting back the lug, having the break welded, and then building up the lug again to help support the welded joint.
    Regards,
                  Eddie.

Offline Ray Dodds

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2013 at 21:41 »
Hi Eddie its the front left down tube broken up close to the top lug, Regards Ray.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2013 at 06:16 »
Hi Ray,
          Breaks at the top of the front down tube usually occur about 1" or so from the lug - this is where the reinforcing inner sleeve ends. For some strange reason, Mr Douglas decided to make these sleeves with a blank end - thus concentrating the stresses at that point. When I have built/rebuilt frames, I have remade the sleeves to be open ended and have tapered the bore at the lower end to help spread the stresses. I have never had a frame fracture again (or even crack the paint) in that area.
   Re-tubing in this area is not easy as the down tubes are quite deeply socketed into the head lug. Also, if you have a bronze head lug, you will probably have to get the old tubes machined out as heating to un-braze them will result in the lug being at the point of collapse when trying to withdraw the tube. If it was my frame, I would be inclined to check out the area of the break and make sure there is no sign of braze within ½" or so (the braze seldom penetrates that far down between the tube and the inner sleeve), then 'V' out the joint and get a trusted welder to TIG weld it back together, but be sure to prevent any brass inclusion in the weld as this will seriously compromise the strength of the joint. Properly TIG welded, the joint should be almost as strong as the parent tube and any heat damage will be confined to the area of the repair.
  Good luck,
      Regards,
                   Eddie.

Offline Ray Dodds

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2013 at 14:37 »
Many Thanks Eddie i will give it a try.

Offline Ray Dodds

Re: Mk3 frame repair
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2013 at 21:21 »
IT'S A BIT BEYOND MY CAPABILITIES THE TUBE IS BROKEN TIGHT TO THE LUG AND I CAN SEE BRAZING INBETWEEN THE INNER AND OUTER TUBES,ANY SUGESTIONS ANYONE,REGARDS RAY.