Douglas - For Sale Items

Douglas 1913 Model P motorcycle

Douglas - Wanted Items

Douglas 1915 3 Spd-Gearbox and Clutch

Support & How to Join

Side Panel Notices

Quick Comments

Reminders, links to interesting topics, bump your own topic, quick comments or any short message of interest to members. Try it out!
Please note - 500 character current limit

Dave

Today at 01:04:34
Welcome to the new site!

Recommended viewing for a fast start...
 - Quick Tour of the Front Page
 - Quick Tour of the new Attachments

Please see the bottom post in this topic for more info.

First post - Ignition timing for 1957 Dragonfly

Started by Croft, 05 May 2013 at 15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Croft

Hi All

I've recently bought a 57' Dragonfly.  It seems to be in good condition, mechanically and cosmetically.  I would like to fit electronic ignition, not sure which system yet but I would like to get rid of the Miller distributor, this seems to be a weak spot in the system.  I have a couple of ideas but what I need to know is the ignition timing, preferably degrees BTDC, (although a linear measurement would be OK) at full advance.  Anyone got that info to hand please?

I'd like to get this sorted ASAP so I can get riding, in the mean time a there are a few minor jobs to do, then a summer of trouble free riding.

Thanks

John

Title expanded - Dave 24th May 2013

chippy

Hi John, The ign timing states 5 degrees in the book using a timing disc. Regards Eric.

eddie

John,
         The figure stated for the Dragonfly is the static setting, i.e. it is the fully retarded setting. If I was you, I would use the timing figures for the earlier Mark series engines. These were fitted with a magneto, so a fully advanced figure was given - this is 36 degrees before TDC. This will give a good starting point - it may be advantageous to adjust it further due to the changes in the petrol we now use compared with the mid 50's fuel.
      Regards,
                    Eddie.

Croft

Many thanks for the replies.  I'll give 36 degrees ago and  also try and workout from the 5 degrees retarded what fully advanced is.

I have decided to go for a self generating system so I need not worry about keeping a battery charged during non-riding periods.

John