Author Topic: Dragonfly 12volt conversion and wiring diagram  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Richmond

Dragonfly 12volt conversion and wiring diagram
« on: 19 Apr 2013 at 10:50 »
Hi
I have just completed a 12v conversion to my Fly and attach a circuit diagram. The Power box is a Boyer PBOX00108 Alternator regulator and the Ign module is a Maplin kit with a dual output coil. This dispenses with the HT part of the distributor hopefully to extend the life of the unit. As a belt an braces approach I fitted the change over switch to give an option of electronic or standard. Hopefully this will not be required. Any comments ?

Larger view

Printable PDF[/url

Image links updated - Dave, 17 Oct
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2019 at 00:43 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly 12volt conversion
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2013 at 12:12 »
Hi Richmond,
                     It's all very well updating the Dragonfly ignition to 12 volt with a twin output coil to get over the HT problems and an 'electronic' unit to reduce the load on the points, but this still does not get over the basic problem with the Miller distributor - the inadequate bearings!! Without some modification to the bearings, the spindle can still float around, with the result that the timing remains very erratic. Back in the 80's, I converted my Dragonfly to twin Lucas points firing twin Miller coils - the points being housed in a home brewed unit with needle roller bearings and utilising the original Miller bobweight assembly. This set up has now covered in excess of 35,000 miles and has proved to be utterly reliable - the points only needing adjustment twice in that time. The bike still has a slow, reliable tick over, and can still be revved out all day long, with no signs of any misfire.
      Another mod that I did was to move the condenser from under the distributor cover (where it overheated) to a position on the side of the coils - I know the experts say the condenser should be as close as possible to the points, but it certainly seems happier in a stream of cooling air.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Richmond

Re: Dragonfly 12volt conversion
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2013 at 13:36 »
Eddie
I agree that the mod fails to address all the distributor problems but as I don't have any machining facilities this is my first step. I would like to go the whole hog and address these issues but another day another project,at least I have a spare distributor to play with. As to the points I agree that a repositioning is worthwhile and have moved it "out" in free air but I don't expect to have to use it as its only in circuit on the non electronic system hopefully not to be used. Its one step at a time .

Regards Rich

Offline Kev Dog

Re: Dragonfly 12volt conversion and wiring diagram
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2019 at 21:10 »
I need to convert a Fly to 12V. I was planning on using an early triumph wiring diagram, podtronics and Lucas 12 alternator.
Does this sound familiar? I didn't see your diagram, maybe it's an old post.

Offline Kev Dog

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2019 at 21:12 »
found the diagram TY

Offline Bynorthsea

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2019 at 19:21 »
The whole hog! New distributer body fitted with Pazon electronic ignition.

Offline Bynorthsea

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2019 at 20:30 »
Fitted