Author Topic: please help me to identify this douglas flat twin  (Read 6621 times)

Offline sudiastara

please help me to identify this douglas flat twin
« on: 23 Mar 2013 at 07:49 »
hello everyone,
my name is Agus and i live in Bali island - Indonesia.
i plan to buy douglas flat twin. i have attached the pictures here.

can anyone help me to identify the year of this bike and anyone have picture of the actual bike ?
i plan to restore this bike because douglas is quite rare in Indonesia.

your kind information is highly appreciated.

best regards,
agus

« Last Edit: 29 May 2013 at 21:09 by Dave »

Offline David Lawrence

Re: please help me to identify this douglas flat twin
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:27 »
Dear Agus,
Welcome to the Douglas fraternity, hopefully tou will buy the Douglas and enjoy the rebuild and riding the bike.
To give you a more positive identification we really need the engine, frame, and gearbox numbers. The bike looks very much like an EW of around 1926, however the forks and tank may be from other models. I am sure you will get accurate information from other forum members with more knowledge than I. Coincidently the other posting with a bike for sale is a good picture of a restored EW.
Now for the advert..... I think you should consider joining the London Douglas M.C.C. both for spares and more detailed information. Details of the Club can be obtained from the Club website douglasmcc.co.uk you will be most welcome,  the Club has members scattered all over the world from Japan to Argentina, but I suspect you would be the first in Indonesia!
Dave

Offline sudiastara

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2013 at 13:01 »
Hi Dave,
thank you for your information...
yes, i was wondering about the same thing...
i also thought that the fuel tank is different...
but also, i notice the engine is also a bit different...
here is the numbers given by the seller :

FRAME:  M17588
ENGINE:  E17742
GEARBOX:  W27

i hope the other members will help me as well...
please give me the link to see the douglas EW for sale...
thank you,
agus

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2013 at 15:15 »
Hello Agus,
                   As Dave says, the bike looks like a 350cc EW model of about 1926 or 1927, but the front forks and wheel look to be from a different make. Also, the petrol tank may be from a different model of Douglas - the original tank would have had the hand gear change lever operating in a slot up through the tank. When you get chance, have another look at the engine and frame numbers - you will probably find the engine number is MF 7588, and the frame number YE 17742. The gearbox number you quoted is probably the 'matching number' for the gearbox castings - the actual number should start RG*****.
     Hope this helps,
                Regards,
                               Eddie.

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2013 at 15:40 »
Hi agus,
Thanks for posting the numbers of your possible aquisition.
I think that the frame number should read MF7588 which is in the range of the 26 EW's The engine number is more of a mystery but the EW range did also include a 600cc version the crankcase numbers of which started EH but they never went up to 7000, if it is a 600 case I guess that E17 should be EH making the complete number EH742 which would fit in the early series 1927. The original 600 frames were designated PF**** but again were only ever low numbers. It is not uncommon to find the engines switched! so maybe it is a 600 motor. For your information the 350 EW engines were all designated YE***** yourse maybe YE17742, just missing the "Y" Douglas made a considerable number of EW's the highest we have on record is over 22600 some of the very late production were designated C/YE****** we are uncertain as to why.
The gearbox again is unclear RG is the common designation for the  350, 600's are WG but always 3 or 4 numbers later side valve gearboxes did have single letters but I do not know of any "W"'s! the number may of course be casting numbers.
It may be that the bike has had various modifications made to keep it running, BUT I would not be put off by that, if it has survived this long it by "evolving" it deserves a new careful keeper!!
I am sure that forum readrers will come forward with more information and advice but if you are still unclear please forward the prints direct to my email address and I will circulate them amongst Club members who are not forum members!! Yes we do have non computer users!!
Dave

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2013 at 15:48 »
Hi Agus again!
Sorry forgot to mention the EW advert, is on the Forum right now a couple of posts before your original enquiry.
Also apologies to Eddie you obviously covered the same points whilst I was typing slowly!!
Cheers
Dave

Offline sudiastara

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2013 at 22:47 »
Thanks again Dave and Eddie,
will you please look at the picture 002 and 003 ?
can you tell me what is the empty circle for ?
i have attached another pictures here and i gave red circle to the section that i mean.
also, i attached picture of the engine dan frame number (they're not clear enough) :(

i've been searching for the similar engine... but i can not find any with the circle...
what i'm afraid of is, i can not get the parts to make the bike run again...

on the other hand... i really this douglas motorcycle.... i think they are just beautiful.
thank you,
agus

« Last Edit: 29 May 2013 at 21:14 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2013 at 07:46 »
Hello Agus,
                  The 'circle' on the engine cover is for the attachment of a BTH generator for electric lights. Electric lighting was an optional extra on the early EW models, so some bikes had a plain cover, whilst others, like yours, had the modified cover for a generator. These generators are often known as 'Pancake dynamos' because they are short compared with their diameter. From the photo, it looks as if the hole for the drive shaft has been plugged to prevent dirt getting in - inside there should be a special gear to drive the generator.
        From the photos of the frame and engine numbers, I see the rear frame stay is not the original and has probably been made up by a previous owner - the end of the tube would not normally be open.
       If you are lucky enough to buy this bike, post some more photos and then we will be able to give you more accurate advice. When the EW was first produced, quite a few problems occurred which resulted in the factory making modifications to the engine - including a modified oiling system, with more rerouted oil lines, so some illustrations may not match exactly to your bike.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline sudiastara

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2013 at 07:58 »
thank you eddie,
do you know where i can buy the BTH generator for electric lights for this Douglas ?
or if hard to find, do you know where to buy the plain cover ? so i can just forget the BTH Generator.
thank you,
agus
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2013 at 06:59 by sudiastara »