Author Topic: 1913 2-3/4 clutch slip  (Read 2855 times)

Offline phil_h

1913 2-3/4 clutch slip
« on: 09 Mar 2013 at 15:25 »
I think I'm on top of my woodruff keys problems after building up the pulley with weld so the keys can no longer rotate out !
However, with the current weather, all my road tests have left me with drive slip of one kind or another.
A bit of belt dressing on the pulley seems to limit the belt slipping but the clutch has been slipping too.
Now I expected a bit of that with the clutch having been off so many times, the lining must have got some oil on it.
However, when I went to clean it I was surprised to find it looks like leather ?
I've cleaned it with brake degreaser and roughened the surface with a wire brush, but I'm not sure if that does a good enough job, because I still had problems when I went out just now.
Advice would be gratefully received with the Pioneer just 2 weeks away :o

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: 1913 2-3/4 clutch slip
« Reply #1 on: 09 Mar 2013 at 15:44 »
Phil,
       First of all, back off the clutch adjusting screw a couple of turns and then try riding the bike clutchless. If the clutch grips OK, the problem could be the adjusting screw contacting the end of the gearbox mainshaft and holding the cone out of engagement. If the clutch still slips, the cone may be bottoming out on the inside of the pulley - in which case new linings may be needed (or take a light skim off the end of the cone as a makeshift to get you to Brighton!).
      If your clutch is the small, early type that is housed inside the pulley, persistant slipping is not unheard of. The later large clutch outboard of the pulley coped much better.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline phil_h

« Reply #2 on: 09 Mar 2013 at 21:17 »
Thanks Eddie, you made me go and check my assumptions and I'm hopeful tomorrow's ride might crack it !
I hadnt checked the clearance after I'd cleaned up the friction surface, and there was no free play any more after I'd ridden it and bedded it in again.
The cone is also now definitely inboard of the pulley, so I think I'm going to need it relined soon.

Offline phil_h

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2013 at 19:15 »
Well, not a lot of difference, still get it squeaking badly pulling away, but it doesnt slip going up the local hills so I'll keep my fingers crossed.