Author Topic: Removing old tanksealing before resealing  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Edin

Removing old tanksealing before resealing
« on: 27 Feb 2013 at 17:00 »
Hej all
Does someone out there have any experiense with removing tanksealing "3M Scott Clad 776" from gas tank.
With more and more Etanol in the petrol there is an increasing problem around here with gashoses,-
carburettor trouble and so on.
Until today,- I handling the problem with emty gastank after running,- and open tankcap - until next running.
It is not a problem to buy tanksealing resistent for etanol/gas mix - even pure 100% etanol,- the problem is to get rid of the old sealing.
3M inform that it is very difficult to get a liquid there can dissolve 3M sealing without mecanical influence in the same proces.
Can someone please help with experince or advise
Regards Edin DK

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Removing old tanksealing before resealing
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2013 at 00:39 »
Edin,

I found that acetone will dissolve the old style tank sealer. But some sort of mechanical abrasion is needed. I use the ceramic media (rocks) used for de-burring small parts in industrial vibratory and tumbler machines. Whatever you use make sure it is non-sparking or you will blow yourself to bits. And it will ruin the petrol tank too! :)  Acetone will also likely attack your paint finish, so a good sealing bung for the filler hole is essential.

-Doug

[fix typo. 28feb13. Doug]
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2013 at 00:56 by Doug »

Offline Edin

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2013 at 13:08 »
Thanks Doug
I shal be carefull
Regards Edin DK

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2013 at 17:41 »
Why seal a petrol tank with one of these sealers that eventually breaks down under the effect of ethanol when there is a commonly available, reliable remedy - - - soft solder!!  17 years ago I repaired a Dragonfly tank by this method and it still refuses to leak, and doesn't gum up the fuel lines or carburettor. All I did was scour back the area of the leak to bare metal, knock a dent into the tank where it was leaking, tin the area and fill with body solder, then file back to the original tank contour. Another bonus is that the job can be completed in a lot less time than it takes the chemical sealants to fully cure.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Edin

« Reply #4 on: 03 Mar 2013 at 17:15 »
Hej Eddie
Thanks for reply and advise,- I do usually the same when there is a leak in my gastank.
Afterwards I seal the tank with a sealer,- to prevent inside corrosion.
Corrosion in gastanks is an increasing problem,- increasing because there is more and more etanol in
the fuel.
Etanol are able to absorb water/moisture from the air,- and later secrete the water in tankbottom where it made corrosion and bad damage,- if the tank is unprotectet with a sealer.
First generation sealers (3M) used for about 25 years,- was not resistent to etanol and must therefore be removed and replaced with an etanol resistant sealer
Regards Edin DK

Offline a1mick

« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2013 at 09:09 »
i accidently put e10 in a bike that had been sealed with kreem, acetone turned it into porridge real quick, easy fix.
 cheers a1 mick

Offline Edin

« Reply #6 on: 07 Oct 2013 at 19:00 »
Hej mick
Thanks for advise and decription
Regards Edin DK

Offline Alan

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2013 at 02:11 »
But yet another Ethanol comment (quite a lengthy discussion on this several years ago in this forum)
...Went fishing last week on a friend's boat and  90HP engine not performing well ..
On return he admitted that he had filled his tank with E10 many months before  and had run perfectly but not used since. We went fault finding and found the large petrol seperator/ filter full of water which had to have been absorbed by the Ethanol content of the fuel...On a seperate unrelated safety issue, his brother had purchased his son one of those new super cheap reduced size trail motorbikes out of China for use on their farm..After several problems including dreadful handling, they had stripped the brakes and suspension etc and appalled by the lack of engineering desigh and thrown together assembly.

motorcycle