Author Topic: Gearbox oil recommendation for my 51' Mark V  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Jeffbo1

Gearbox oil recommendation for my 51' Mark V
« on: 07 Feb 2013 at 02:45 »
It's pretty cold here now where I live in northwest Washington State and I noticed the last time I rode my Mk-V the gear shift began getting stiffer and stiffer and I got to thinking that my gearbox oil might not be responding well to the cold weather now....any recommendations for a lighter oil would be appreciated...I have even read where some have tried as light as 30W but perhaps this may not be good.....anyone every try synthetic oil in the GB?  Many thanks again!  Jeff

Offline Catweazle

Re: Gearbox oil recommendation for my 51' Mark V
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2013 at 15:00 »
Hi Jeff

I can't see any problem with synthetics, I have used automatic transmission fluid in motorcycle gearboxes, particularly BSA and Triumph in the past with no ill effects, so i can see no problem with using it in the Douglas, which isn't particularly powerful, runs the gears at engine speed unlike most chain-driven gearboxes - so transmitting lower torque, and appears to be fairly robustly constructed.

However, I have no specific knowledge of Douglases at this point, having only just acquired one for the first time.

Cheers

Dave

Offline Jeffbo1

Re: Gearbox oil recommendation for my 51' Mark V
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2013 at 05:45 »
Hi Dave and thank you for your thoughts...I am of the same mind on this and am thinking I might grab a bottle of the Syn-3 that I run in my Harley gearbox...just wasn't sure what others have thought and with as stiff as my shifting is getting in this cold weather I think I am open to any new product that will be superior to heavy weight gear oil....thanks again!