Author Topic: Mk-V Lock or no lock  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Jeffbo1

Mk-V Lock or no lock
« on: 10 Jan 2013 at 23:34 »
Another observation I have made on my 51' Douglas Mk-V is a similar observation as to my 51' BSA B31....Neither bike has an ignition lock or fork lock etc....Am I correct in assuming that none was provided in the day? The Mk-V as we know has a kill button and my BSA is killed by pulling a compression release....no kill button......With regard to my Mk-V does this sound correct? No key security of any kind? If I am correct then I must assume that we lived in a very honest and trusting society as compared to nowadays ....Many thanks    Jeff

Offline David Lawrence

Re: Mk-V Lock or no lock
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2013 at 22:59 »
Hi Jeff,
Your assumption is correct on both counts, the bikes of the era had no loking devices or ignition keys, it was the era when we would leave the bike with crash helmets gloves etc on the bars or seat and they would still be there on returning to the bike.
You can use the cut out button by intercepting the lead from the mag to the kill button and route it through a switch with one side earthed so that when on it earths the mag in the same way that the cut out button kills the ignition, hide the switch under the tank or even in the tool box.

Offline Jeffbo1

Re: Mk-V Lock or no lock
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2013 at 03:02 »
Hi David, excellent idea, many thanks!  Jeff