Author Topic: Needing a set of rear foot rests for my 1951 Mk-V  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Jeffbo1

Needing a set of rear foot rests for my 1951 Mk-V
« on: 10 Jan 2013 at 01:59 »
Looking for a nice set of rear folding foot rests (as stock) for my 51' Mk-V....Jeff

Offline David Lawrence

Re: Needing a set of rear foot rests for my 1951 Mk-V
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2013 at 09:47 »
Hi Jeff,
Regarding your request for rear footrests for your Mk5, can you cinfirm that the bike still has the original design cast alloy toolboxes which carry the footrest on a lug at the bottom of the toolbox. If so the footrest is a simple cast bar that folds up  and down on a bolt through the "footrest hanger".
Dave

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2013 at 17:37 »
Hi Jeff,
           To help in your search for rear footrests - all postwar Douglases (except the late Dragonflies) used the same rear footrests.
    Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline Jeffbo1

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2013 at 20:16 »
Dave and Eddie, thank you! Yes I still sport the original cast tool boxes with the footrest mounting forks (?) on each side....Would you fellows happen to know what year the MK-V went to a full seat verses the solo seat? Or was that an option in the day? Many thanks!

Jeff

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2013 at 21:07 »
Jeff,
       All Mark series machines were fitted with a single saddle - the pillion seat and footrests were offered as extras. Quite a few owners have fitted a BSA type dual seat (even back in the 50's). I believe Feridax made a dualseat with fittings for the Mark series - but it wasn't a 'Douglas' option.

Eddie.

Offline Jeffbo1

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2013 at 23:28 »
Thank you again Eddie, I want to stay original and would opt for the pillion seat verses the BSA style...mine has no pillion as yet and since it doesn't have the rear foot rests it makes me wonder if it was only a solo ride from the beginning....many thanks!   Jeff