Author Topic: Olives for oil pipes for EW350  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Idler

Olives for oil pipes for EW350
« on: 18 Nov 2012 at 17:45 »
Can anyone please point me in the direction of replacement oil pipe olives for my 1927 EW350, or complete pipes, or kits of piping and olives and nuts or .....
The threads and nuts on mine are good but the original pipes have seen better days. Is it possible sweat off the olives from the pipe or are they available commercially? I have tried locally and on the web to find some but without success. Is there a better way of resolving it?

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Olives for oil pipes for EW350
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2012 at 20:09 »
It should be easily possible to unsweat the fittings if they have been soft soldered to the pipes. If they are silver soldered, it will be considerably more difficult - and may result in the fittings being damaged or distorted on removal. Most of the fittings are the same as commercial fittings and are generally available from stockists of brass plumbing fittings.

regards,
              Eddie.

Offline Idler

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2012 at 17:58 »
Thank you for your reply Eddie. Yes that's what I thought but the taper seems to be different and the threads not quite right - they tighten as if they are being forced. One helpful guy suggested that there are two slightly different thread forms BSP and JIF (?). Any thoughts? Regards, Rob

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2012 at 18:17 »
The standard taper on BSP fittings has a 60 degree included angle - if one half has a different angle, the thread could get spread, causing the nut to drag - also, it may tighten with a 'spongy' feel.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2012 at 23:31 »
Idler,

As Eddie says, the included angle for the fitting is 60 degrees.

The thread, at least as used at the timing cover end, is 7/16-20. It was probably intended to be from the 20 threads per inch Cycle Engineers Institute (CEI) series (more familiar for there 26tpi series). This later turned into the British Standard Cycle (BSC), though the 20tpi series seems to have dropped from usage. It used a 60 degree thread angle, and is pretty much the same as 7/16 US Fine thread (USF).

If the nut you have is BSF, that is 18tpi and may account for the 'tight' feel on a 20tpi nipple.

Doug

Offline Idler

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2012 at 10:56 »
Thank you both. I will delve deeper .....