Author Topic: EW Wheel Hubs?  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Rob

EW Wheel Hubs?
« on: 10 Nov 2012 at 00:23 »
Hi all,

I have a couple of wheels that I purchased thinking they were EW. But I cannot find any Douglas stamp on the hubs as is present on most of my other wheel hubs. The only markings I can find look like "A & R". 

Can anyone identify what they are from?

Thanks

Rob

« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2012 at 17:24 by Dave »

Offline Rob

Re: EW Wheel Hubs?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2012 at 00:41 »
All,

forgot to mention that the standard EW axle and original bearings fit very well.

Rob

Offline Edin

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2012 at 06:54 »
Hej Rob.
Are they for sale or swap?
Regards Edin DK

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2012 at 07:27 »
Yes Rob, What you have are the genuine article for the early EW Dougs Mostly fitted to the models with the slotted gearbox frames having the RG gearboxes fitted. These items can be easily parted to 3 pieces for easy plating. A pre runner for the 100 splined doug hubs.

Alan

Offline ccew350

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2012 at 15:38 »
Alan. Can you tell me the safest way to take this type of hub apart.
Many thanks, Colin.
colin

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2012 at 08:36 »
Yes if you can find a piece of pipe slightly larger the side opposite the brake drum it is just a matter of of siting it in the pipe with the drum uppermost and with a drift in the outer bearing race drift the drum off. It is then just a matter of having a piece of pipe larger than the centre hub and repeat the process.

After plating it is just a matter of having two large washers and a long bolt to press the hub together.

I think I may have mentioned it before that if you cant find the taper bearings, we have have used alternator bearings 6203 I think. Now the outer is too small but with the use of some stainless strap from a timber strapping machine a perfect fitting circle and spacer can be formed.

Also I see the old problem cant get imperial roller bearings not stocked any more. Not true. Dont go looking for separate rollers. Nortons etc have a roller bearing with about nine rollers and the rollers are quite easy to remove. I jump on anything bearings at swap meets to see if any are there.

regards Alan

Offline ccew350

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2012 at 18:30 »
Thanks Alan, that's very helpful. I thought the assembley may have been Silver soldered together.
Regards, Colin
colin