Author Topic: S1 Frame Number  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Rob

S1 Frame Number
« on: 30 Sep 2012 at 10:03 »
Hi,

I am having trouble locating the frame number for an S1 frame. I have looked it all the usual places.

Can someone please enlighten me.

Rob

Offline David Lawrence

Re: S1 Frame Number
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2012 at 09:03 »
Hi Rob,
Tricky one this, could well be there isn't one!!
You have obviously checked all the traditional spots, ie rear frame lug above gearbox either side! (officially offside.) nearside saddle/tank tube junction and the gearbox mounting lug usually horizontal. The only other suggestion is the rear wheel mounting lug on either side, very unlikely but some of the earlier models have them there.
If you ever find it please let us know so that we can record it for future reference!!
Dave

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2012 at 21:17 »
Dave,

thanks for the reply. I will check the rear wheel lugs tonight.

It will then be off to the blasters for a final check for numbers before painting.

Rob

Offline Rob

« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2012 at 06:06 »
Dave,

Nothing on the rear wheel lugs. The inside of the lug casting has the part number 4425 cast into it.

The frame is at the blasters now so all will be revealed in a couple of days.

Rob

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2012 at 07:45 »
Rob,
Good luck with that, you never know it might come back with a nice clear number visible, good lord theres some more of those pigs flying past the window!! :lol: :lol:
Hopefully it will not reveal any cracks!
Dave

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 02 Oct 2012 at 08:42 »
Might be a good idea to have the likely locations for the number blasted with a fine grit first - a coarser grit may obliterate any numbers completely!!!

Regards,
               Eddie.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 02 Oct 2012 at 09:54 »
Rob,

A trip to the shed and my frame number although hard to read is stamped on the right hand side of the plate that crosses the lower frame tubes and forms the four hole plate for the underslung gear box.

regards Alan

Offline Rob

« Reply #7 on: 05 Oct 2012 at 06:24 »
Alan and all,

the frame is back from the blasters (blasted and etch primed). Fortunately the frame doesn't have any cracks and is in quite good condition. Unfortunately I still can't find any frame numbers. Frame photos attached.

I suspect that that the bottom two frame rails have been replaced at some time as they are in excellent good condition for their age and position. They also appear to be a heavier gauge than other exposed frame members.

The gearbox mounting plate has been separated at some time from the frame and is a 3 hole plate instead of Alan's frame attached 4 hole plate.  The gearbox has a "FG" serial number which is for an S1.

The gearbox mounting plate also doesn't have any frame serial numbers on it and appears to have been repaired at some stage. The plate also appears to be original as it has a part number cast into it. Photos attached.

Any other theories?

Rob

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2012 at 02:02 by Dave »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 05 Oct 2012 at 08:26 »
Rob,

Yes well the plate with the 3 holes in the last pic is where the number is on my frame. As you can see this plate has location pin holes and would have been brazed to the bottom rails.

Alan

Offline Black Sheep

« Reply #9 on: 06 Oct 2012 at 05:24 »
Don't feel alone - my Model O has no hint of a frame number anywhere, nor is one mentioned in the original buff log book. There is one on the V5C registration document which I suspect is a work of fiction...