Author Topic: post war engine  (Read 3937 times)

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

post war engine
« on: 12 Sep 2012 at 21:02 »
 Hasnt any one got an idea of the value of a post war engine.

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

Re: post war engine
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2012 at 20:37 »
being as no one apears to know the value of a post war engine, has any one got one they dont need, or are they difficult to get. as I would like to put this mongrel austin seven engined bike back as a proper douglas.thanks

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2012 at 23:40 »
Eric,

I would think anywhere between 50 to 2000 quid, depending on variables too numerous to mention. If you narrow the scope of what you are looking for in reguards to condition, completeness; overhauled and road ready to incomplete basket of bits, you might get some responces. Otherwise I expect no one knows where to start short of writing an extensive reply to try and cover all the bases.

Regards,
Doug

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2012 at 07:34 »
 Hi Doug I knowwhat you mean,when I take this austin seven engine out all I shall have is a rolling chassis.so wil need every thing engine wise.and as I had my last original mk douglas back in 1959 and a ew in 1978, (ive run scotts ever since) I am afraid I have lost contact with douglas prices.my only concern is that I dont end up paying more for a box of bits than I could have bought a compleat engine for.as a retierd forman mechanic with machine shop experiance im not botherd about how much work I have to do.it stops me from going compleatly barmy.

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2012 at 16:12 »
 Hi lads can any of the MK experts tell me what parts you can use from a stationary engine on a mk engine. the reason I ask is that there seems to be a lot of stationary  engines for sale.have seen three today at a auto jumble. any thing from 25 /50.also a number of mk crankcases. is it worth buying one as a basis to builed a bike engine.or isnt it worth the trouble.

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct 2012 at 20:39 »
 Hasnt any one ever stripped a syationary engine to see what bits you can use on a mk.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2012 at 06:21 »
Eric,
       The only parts from the generator engine that will fit the motorcycle engine are:
      Barrels and pistons will fit the T35 Mk1 (but not later Mks)
      Cam gears and idler will fit Mk3 -5 machines, but need spacers to make width correct.
      Crankshaft can be used but needs slight modification at front end to accomodate drive gear for magneto.

Regards,
                 Eddie.

Offline ERIC BAYLISS

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2012 at 12:43 »
 Thanks  Eddie wish I had bought one of those on saturday, the one crankcase was marked t35 as well.and was only 25 including cams.

motorcycle